We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

hello,

we recently moved to eagan , MN and am looking for a 2 nights 3 days getaway in late april !

i am 4 months pregnant so we both need a nice relaxing vacation !

which places can we visit , i was thinking of visiting one of the state parks ?

what would your advice be for us ? any nice romantic getaway where we dont have to drive much !

thanks alot !

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

One place to consider that isn't too much of a drive is Duluth. They have many bed and breakfasts, and beautiful scenery. Here is a link to a list of bed & breakfasts (there are certainly many more; simply do a search in Google) http://www.duluthbandb.com/

And here is a link to a list of romantic things to do www.duluthbandb.com/romantic-duluth.htm

Maybe a trip to Itasca State Park to see the start of the Mississippi River? I say, "Go North!" But I would start by looking into a trip to Duluth.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

Well if you want romantic, I agree with Duluth. From eagan, i would its 3 hours., Its nice to break the drive up with a stop at Tobies in Hinckley and bakery items that are fantastic.

If you want to go the State Park route, check out a camper cabin.

There are 35 camper cabins available for rent in Minnesota State Parks and more are being built this year. William O'brien state park in one of the closer ones to the metro.

See if they have one avalible for the date you want. http://www.stayatmnparks.com/

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

Bluefin Bay - up the north shore

get a jacuzzi suite with great views of the North Shore.

it's about 85 miles up the north shore from Duluth

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

wow thank you so much for yr valued suggestions ... i am gonna look at duluth and i had read about the itasca state park and that was on my list ! i am gonna look at blufin bay too !

will let ya know my choices !

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

I loved the bluefin resort but i am not sure hubby would like it that much ! i think he would like duluth more ... what all can we do in Duluth , i mean i wont be able to walk much , but what are the must do's in that area? i am gonna show hubby today about duluth and bluefin..

i would have liked itasca but its not available for the dates we are looking at !

Denver and...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

I would reccomend Lanesboro, MN or Duluth, MN Both are about a 2.5 hour drive from your location. Duluth is a town that has activity year round, Lanesboro is more of a late Spring or Summer trip. There is an active amish community along the root river, along with several other sites to visit around Lanesboro. Duluth allows you short day drives to the along the superior shore either up the western shore, or over to the penisula for a day in Bayfield or Ashland Wisconsin.

MN
Level Contributor
960 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

Duluth is a great choice. Lots to do there. Visit Lake Superior and just enjoy the view, go to Great Lakes Aquarium, not sure I would do the going down in the mine thing pregnant, but it is an option.

Check out www.visitduluth.com

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

I would think about visiting Cragun's resort on Gull Lake. Depending on the weather, golf may be an option, plus I believe they now have terrific spa services.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

Thnk you so much for yr suggestions , i really like the cragun's resort as i want to mainly relax and it seems like a nice place ...

we might select on that if hubby likes it ! Duluth seems to be a nice area but we might hve to walk alot which i dont think ill be able too !!

Duluth,Mn
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on a getaway for 2 nights 3 days !

I'm from Duluth, and if you come this way, I would suggest:

Glensheen Mansion

the Brewhouse Restaurant

Nokomis Restaurant (up the shore just a few minutes)

Enger Tower to see the view

(You can also drive along Skyline Drive)

Canal Park (it would be fun if they have the special bikes for rent, but may not until May/June)

Lake Superior and Mississippi Railroad (less expensive than North Shore Railroad and just as fun--only open May to Oct, I think, but may have weekends?)

Check out UMD and St. Scholastica and the Duluth Playhouse for concerts/plays during the time you're planning to be here.

Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse are both less than an hour (just south of Silver Bay). They have short and long walking routes, with the lighthouse having an interesting tour and almost no walking.

If you are not planning to stay at a BandB in Duluth, I would check out Bluefin Bay or Grand Superior Lodge.

I've had 5 babies, and unless you have special problems with your pregnancy, I don't see any reason at 4 months pregnant that you wouldn't be able to walk a bit. (1-2 miles maximum --nothing huge)

If you go to Brainerd Lakes area, I would check out Grandview Lodge. It looks very cozy and romantic.

HTH!