We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bears in MN?

omaha
12 posts
Save Topic
Bears in MN?

We don't have bears and timber wolves down here in Nebraska. When we go camping up in MN this sept. do we need to worry about these creatures?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bears in MN?

Worry? No.

Take precautions? Absolutely. Be smart and don't keep food in your tent.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,450 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bears in MN?

Yes just be careful. Where in Mn are you going? The wolves will keep their distance and avoid humans, but the bears might wander in for a snack if they are really hungry.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bears in MN?

The only bears are Black Bears and these are usually pretty shy but...extrordinary circumstances can bend their behavior a bit...such as lack of natural food sources. In some areas experiencing drought this year berry supply has been limited and more bears are wandering into areas populated by people. There have been numerous reports in the St. Croix valley this summer of bears raiding bird feeders.

When camping keep all food (every single scrap) out of tents and preferably either locked in a vehicle or suspended from a tree branch away from the tunk of the tree (and well away from the tents). Be sure to clean up any spilled food around the campfire and treat garbage (empty cans, wrappers, etc..) the same way as food. Generally bears won't attack people (unless provoked) but can be a nusance and make a mess of things. Besides, they stink really bad.

A week ago, while renting a house on a lake just outside of Duluth near Jay Cooke state park we were sitting on the porch at about 10pm when a very large Black bear came ambling down the road...about 25-30 feet in front of us. Largest bear I've ever seen outside a zoo. As we made a little comotion (stood up to get a better look) "he" (we think) made a quick turn into the brush across the road. We heard a bunch of crashing and snapping and a minute later he was in the back yard of a house across and down the road and activated the motion sensor lights. We wandered around he house and back up to the road. My brother, his wife and all the kids in the group piled into his H3 and slowly drove up the road following him. As long as they stayed back aways he paid them no mind and proceeded to stop at each house, lift the garbage can lid and poke around for a snack. One house after the other. Whenever another car came down the road he moved into the brush and then when it was gone he came back out. So really he was pretty shy and wanted to avoid people but was attracted to easy.

MN
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bears in MN?

My husband is from Northern MN and bears were a common occurance in their yard growing up. I have lived in MN my entire life and never seen one in the wild. Camp responsibily and you should be fine.

I remember this spring, around Memorial Day, there was a camping accident, but I don't remember if it was ever determined what the animal was. I feel like last I heard it was a cat of some sort.

omaha
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bears in MN?

Thanks for the info. I know I can hang my stuff up but it still makes me kinda nervous. I am a little scaredy cat sometimes. LOL. How much rope is needed to hang food up, ft. wise? Are there mountain lions too?

omaha
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bears in MN?

I am starting around the pipestone area, go toward twin cities and up the east side of the state ending close the boundry waters. Going to be camping along the way.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,450 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bears in MN?

Well I don't want to scare you away from Northern Minnesota because its a great place to live and to visit, but just an article from the Ely paper that I will put on here. I can live with the bears, moose and wolves, but we need to keep the mountain lions out of here.... www.timberjay.com/current.php?article=787

Thousands of people camp out around here all year long. You will have no problems becoming one of the thousands.

omaha
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bears in MN?

Thanks so much Berry. Just for my info. What do you do when you do come in contact with a bear or you hear a bear outside the tent? Just for my info.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,450 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bears in MN?

Well I actually live in town and don't go camping much. As stated before, most bears will just head the other way when there are humans near. We have had them in our yard and in our garbage, but when we have shown up, they go the other way.The good thing about this area this summer is that the berries have been plentiful and the bears shouldn't be too hungry. You will be just fine!

North Central...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Bears in MN?

ILF-Omaha,

I've camped and fished from the North Shore of Lake Superior to Ely, MN, either on forest service land, state forest and park land or the BWCA since '71 and have never had a bear come into my tent or campsite. Although I did have a porcupine chew up the handle of my canoe paddle once.

Preparedness is a good thing, but don't let someone convince you you will be attacked and mauled over a chocolate creme pie. Chances are slim you will even see a bear and less than slim that you will see a wolf. Use your head and be careful and you will avoid problems with any animal, after all, it is their home we are invading.

If you are going to hang your supplies, make sure you have enough rope to keep them hanging at least 10 or so feet above ground. Tie the rope off on the tree trunk as high up as you can reach and make sure the food duffle isn't hanging close to the trunk.

September is a beautiful time in northern Minnesota also when I spent most of my time there. Enjoy the trip.

Flytier 46