We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Minnesota

dublin ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in Minnesota

Myself and my wife are thinking of going to Minnesota mid July.I've looked at different sites and was wondering what its like in, say Duluth,Lutsen and Grand Marais.We like to go for meals out and maybe a bar.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Minnesota

That's called the North Shore and it's perhaps the most popular tourist area of the state. The main road follows Lake Superior's shore line. There is a series of state parks that feature great rocky shoreline, some beaches, rivers, and lots of waterfalls. Duluth has many restaurants and bars, many of them located in the Canal Park area. You can also find decent places to eat and drink in the smaller towns. Grand Marais up the shore is a favorite town of many: great harbor area, galleries, and restaurants. I would say the general atmosphere is outdoors and casual.

Two things to be aware of. You're going at peak time so reservations for overnight are a good idea. Second, there is quite a bit of road construction this summer on the way to Duluth and on Highway 61 along the North Shore. Traffic still moves but there are minor delays.

Here is the state tourism site that is very helpful.

http://exploreminnesota.com

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Minnesota

The north shore would be my first choice. A few other options to further confuse you might be the St Croix area (Taylors Falls, Stillwater) or Lake Pepin area (Lake City, Frontenac, Pepin, Stockholm, Maiden Rock)? They are both great water areas with awesome towns and nature to visit. Lanesboro is another popular destination for it's bike path and tubing river. And southern MN between Northfield & Red Wing also fit the bill.

If you go the weekend after July 4th holiday, it might be a little quieter, but I doubt it. I've heard that weekends before or after holidays are sometimes that way.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Minnesota

I stay at BlueFin Bay in Tofte 6 nights a year each Oct.

It's very relaxing, primo views of the lake, and dining options besides dining at the resort, are close by with car, such as Cascade Lodge, and also in Grand Marais.

The suites have full kitchens so most of my meals I cook myself.

If you want great hiking trail suggestions, hit me up.

http://www.bluefinbay.com/

Here's a good website just for that area -

http://www.americasnorthcoast.org/

dublin ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Minnesota

Thanks for the advice,theres plenty to work with there,we go to different parts of the US every year,enjoy it every time.I think Grand Marais will start the trip,once again thanks.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Minnesota

you'll be close to highest point in Minnesota -

google Eagle Mountain, highest point MN

awesome hike !

then you are about 45 min from Canadian border

at the border, on either side is Pigeon River falls

highest falls in the state

on your drive up is "The Devil's Kettle" - a water fall where 1/2 the water goes into a hole... and they can't figure out where it ends up - they've done studies

Lutsen Ski Resort will be open in the summer, and you can ride the Alpine Slide, take the gondola up the mount, and even rent bikes

in Grand Marais, walk out to Artist's Point, the break water, visit the Ben Franklin (for nostalgia), eat at Sven & Ole's pizza, and try World's Best Donuts --- and they sell out each day some time in the later morning - be warned

6. Re: Where to go in Minnesota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 08:17