We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

Southeastern...
9 posts
Save Topic
Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

We are planning a trip with my parents fifth-wheel RV to Minnesota's North Shore the day after Labor Day in September. We were thinking of staying at Lamb's Resort by Schroeder and Lutsen.

Have any of you stayed there? Is it nice and is it worth the up-charge to get an RV spot right on the lake?

Any ideas on thing to make a special stop for? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

I've stayed at BlueFin Bay right on the lake and really enjoyed the lake view from my room. I'd say upgrade if the price it right.

If you'd like some tips on hiking trails nearby let me know.

You'll enjoy a trip up to Grand Marais, if that's in your plans.

Cascade Lodge about 20 miles up the shore is a good place to dine for dinner, too.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

We have driven through Lamb's and thought that the sites next to the lake were nice. You are right there.

There are some quaint dining choices near and around Lutsen. Eagle Ridge Lodge has the Alpine Slide which is fun. There is also a gondola which takes you to a restraunt at the top of a mnt. There is a great hiking trail which starts there as well. Superior Trail also has great hiking. It is worth the trip to Grand Marais.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

Don't know if you have the same interests, but here are several things we do over and over in that area because we enjoy them so much:

-Eat at the Coho Cafe right across the road from the Sawbill Trail in Tofte. Great pizzas and bakery goods.

-Stop at the Kah Nee Tah Gallery several miles beyond Lutsen if you enjoy art. Some great artwork by North Shore artists.

-Visit Sugarloaf Cove. It's south of Tofte and very close to Lamb's-look for the sign along Hwy. 61. It's a short hike to one of the prettiest spots on Lake Superior. Neat rocky beach overlooking a point.

-Do stop at Temperance State Park. You don't even need a sticker parking along Hwy. 61. Towards the lake a great cascade and a rocky shoreline. On the north side of the road is a trail by a canyon and then further on a very nice hike along the Temperance River. Quite flat but it gives me the feeling of hiking along a mountain river out West.

-Best hike IMO is Oberg Mounatin. North of Tofte take Forestry Road 336 which is gravel but well maintained. A couple of miles up the road is a big parking lot. The Oberg Trail starts at the NE end of the parking lot. There is a gradual climb but the views from Oberg are fantastic overlooking Lake Superior and a small lake on the back side. You're early for fall colors but it's still worth it.

-Last but not least the harbor in Grand Marais. Walk the jetty to the lighthouse and then treat yourself at the doughnut shop afterwards. Doesn't get much better living in Minnesota.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

I just checked out Lamb's in May and loved the cabins across from the Cross River waterfall best -- and they're cheaper than the lakeside cabins. Plus, it's a quick walk to the bakery on the highway for morning pastries. I didn't see any campsites along the river, but I wasn't looking.

I did check out the tent sites on the lake, and they were awesome (though farther from the bathrooms). No. 54 was next to a small cove with a black-sand beach.

Yes, I'd go for the lakeside upgrade if I were you.

Robbinsdale...
Level Contributor
319 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

Hey campinforme-

Same as seaburytravler- we stayed in the old cabins overlooking the waterfalls / bridge on the Cross River- we drove thru the RV area and you should have a great stay. AND CCDM-9 already mentioned the Oberg Loop hike near Tofte - the views toward Lake Superior and Lutsen Mountain to the north are very nice. Also very scenic is Goosebury Falls State Park (free)and just south of the park is very good food at the Rustic Inn cafe- home made PIE!!

Southeastern...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

Thank you all for your suggestions!

We will be taking our small dog with us, so all the hiking ideas are great! We hope that most of the parks allow dogs.

I'm happy to hear the postive comments on Lamb's. From what we have seen online and from you all here, this is the place were we will stay.

We do plan on going to Grand Marais and all the other towns on the lakeshore. So, any other points of interest we should stop are appreciated.

Any food ideas are great too - especially for lunch - that's when we will be out and about.

Again, thanks for all the great ideas so far!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

Well, one lunch spot that is a bit of a legend these days is Betty's Pies. The lunch fare is solid but the pies are fantastic. It's north of Two Harbors by a minute or two, right on Hwy 61.

I think if you stop at Gooseberry Falls (which you should) to see that gorgeous water structure, as long as you pay to park there you can use that pass for entry to Split Rock just up the road to see the lighthouse. Now, seeing it from atop the cliff is nice and all, but I prefer to drive down to the camp site parking lot and walk over to the rockly beach and view it from there. Majestic.

And a third on the Oberg Trail hike. And the Grand Marais harbor,

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

Below is a copy of a private message I replied to when I was asked about my favourate hikes. The state parks allow dogs. Signs indicate they need to be on leash. I use discretion if there's if I'm the only one around.

-------

Some of my favourate hikes are Oberg Loop with 7 scenic vistas, then climbing most of the way up to Carlton Peak, at Temperence River State Park.

As the trail follows the river is what I like the best. Once it separates I hike for about another 20 min, then head back.

fs.fed.us/r9/…obergleveauxweb08_000.pdf

fs.fed.us/r9/…carltonpeakweb08_000.pdf

…state.mn.us/maps/state_parks/spk00268.pdf

If you want to hike to the highest point in Minnesota, try Eagle Mountain. It's about 20 miles in from Grand Marais, which is about 25 miles up the shore from BlueFin Bay.

The hike might take a few hours.

fs.fed.us/r9/…eaglemountainbruleweb08_000.pdf

The highest waterfall in the state is right at the Canadian border, maybe 60 miles up from BlueFin. It's a short walk from the car to the high falls, but treking to the middle falls is well worth it if you have the time.

…state.mn.us/state_parks/…index.html

…state.mn.us/maps/…spk00173_summer.pdf

If you stop in Grand Marias, park near the water by the breakwater, and walk out to the end of Artist's Point, then check out the Ben Franklin, it's like stepping back in time, and maybe pizza at Sven & Ole's.

http://grandmarais.com/

http://www.americasnorthcoast.org/

Cascade Lodge around mile marker 100 has got pretty good food too.

http://www.cascadelodgemn.com/dining/

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

It's hard to pick out great places because there are so many, but here's a guide to highlights, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/regions/nort…

If you're staying at Lamb's, you'll be between Sugarloaf Cove and Temperance River State Park -- lots to do right there. You also can use the Gitchi-Gami Trail to do a great hike-bike combo. Stash your bikes at the Britton Peak Trailhead, 2 1/2 miles up the Sawbill Trail/County Road 2 from Tofte, then drive back to Temperance. From there, hike to Carlton Peak and on to Britton Peak and your bikes. It's all downhill to Tofte, where you get onto the Gitchi-Gami, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/regions/nort…

There's a great lunch place right on the highway in Tofte, the Coho Cafe. And the Schroeder Baking Co. has sandwiches, soups and pizza.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lamb's Resort and the North Shore Ideas

Grand Marais Food - Try My Sister's Place or the Angry Trout.