We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on Road from Duluth to Ely

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on Road from Duluth to Ely

I'm coming in, in early September. I've done the drive up 53 to 169 into Ely, it feels like a hunderd time now. [About once a month for a couple of years now]. Thing is other then a stop in Virginia now and then I never see anything.

So my question is, what am I missing? I have time to stop on the way up. Are there really neat stores, good places for lunch, or just things worth stopping to look at along my route? I am willing to drive a couple miles off the road, and will be traveling mid-week.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
42,426 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on Road from Duluth to Ely

Great question........ Can't think of much that would be worth your while.... lets see...you could visit the world's largest hockey stick in Eveleth! Doesn't that sound exciting??? Don't know if you have ever stopped at the mineview in the sky just south of Virginia?

ironrange.org/attractions/…

Not much else along the way that I can think of.... have you been to the underground mine in Soudan? Another option would be to take a different route to Ely by taking Highway 1 from Silver Bay?

Ely
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on Road from Duluth to Ely

Come to Ely up highway 1 or the shortcut from Silver Bay on 2. Highway 1 is much better as you get to go thru the tunnels, great views. Then stop in Finland for pizza and beer (or pop). Knotty Pine is another fun place down the road a way. Or you can take highway 7 out of Finland to the Trestle Inn. It's a dirt road. Don't forget to take" scenic 61 "out of Duluth. Have a nice trip.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on Road from Duluth to Ely

I haven't been along with them, but my mother and sister have enjoyed visiting some cute shops in Eveleth. I can't provide their names, but I think they might be small antique shops on the main drag there.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on Road from Duluth to Ely

I wondered if Eveleth or any of the other little towns along the way had anything interesting. I mean there has to be something out there in those little towns, besides trees. I've been up the route along the lake, and cut over to Ely on 1. I guess what I'm looking for is something interesting and places the locals would stop.

5. Re: What to do on Road from Duluth to Ely

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 07:09