We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MN North Shore

Minnesota
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
MN North Shore

Anyone have a good guess as to when I would get the best spring photos on the North Shore? Looking for good waterfalls from winter melt off and plants just begining to bud.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MN North Shore

If it were me, I'd say 2nd or 3rd week in April, but so much depends on the weather patterns.

Here's a good article:

midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/nature/wildf…

Consider calling one of the resorts for their thoughts on best times.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
697 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MN North Shore

Edited: 26 February 2011, 23:23
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MN North Shore

Our preferred time would be the first two weeks in May. It is "usually" a bit more temperate. The trees will already be in bloom but the waterfalls will still have quite a bit of run off. Everything is that bright vibrant green and the wild flowers are just begining to pop which makes for a great photo op. It really depends on what kind of photo ops you want. If you are looking for trees just begining to bud then, the second half of April, if you want more ground flowers and cover wait until early May.

Edited: 27 February 2011, 17:23
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MN North Shore

I would keep an eye on the weather and ice melt reports. The DNR often has reports about trails at the state parks. I'm thinking specifically of Gooseberry. Of course it's gorgeous when the water is moving fast and trees and other vegetation are blooming. But an underrated time is when the water first breaks through and a lot of ice is still in its formations on the falls. I was there last year during that time and it was spectacular ... and crowds were low.

It's obviously better for photography not to have people (you don't know) in it. At the peak times that might be hard to achieve.,

Minnesota
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MN North Shore

Thanks for all your replies. The lodge sort of made up our minds for us because of their available dates.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MN North Shore

This won't help a lot, but I love this site, and try to share it. Now, its not much, but when the ships start coming through, it is very cool.

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_lg.html

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MN North Shore

Awesome link !!

I bookmarked

Thx

Minnesota
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MN North Shore

Thanks, I bookmarked it also.

Two Harbors...
Level Contributor
326 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MN North Shore

You might also try the Beaver River right on Hwy 61 in Beaver Bay and the Baptism River at Tettegouche State Park (5 miles north of Silver Bay).

Further north you will find George Crosby Manitou State Park, Temperance River State Park & Cascade River State Park.

All are beautiful, but the Gooseberry is the largest with both the upper & lower falls. Timing is everything, but expect the rivers to produce quite a show with the amount of snowfall we've had up here this year.

FYI- The plants may not be budding at the same time the waterfalls are at their peak, however.

10. Re: MN North Shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2011, 19:23