We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

North, South...
Level Contributor
456 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

Two adults are planning a week long trip to Minnesota. We can go anytime this summer (which month is best time ?) Will fly into Minneapolis.

After we rent our car we will then head north past Duluth and drive up Rt 61. We love to hike and enjoy nature. How far north should we think of driving? Is it best to do a up and back on RT 61 or is there a loop drive?

We will then fly back out of Minneapolis. Would appreciate any suggestions on must see places.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

IMO, you really can't go wrong anytime on the North Shore. However, I'd guess your best chance of good weather is late in August, and the bugs lessen most summers the later it is. You could go all the way up to the border easily, but at least go as far as Grand Marais. It's a great town with restaurants, shops, galleries, and a scenic harbor. Google Superior Hiking Trail for information on hiking. Make sure you explore as many of the state parks as possible. They're all unique and have good hiking and photo opportunities. You can make a bit of a loop by taking Highway I up to Ely and then over to Virginia before heading south. Ely is also a great town and Virginia sits in the middle of iron ore mining country if you're interested at all in history. You'll should make reservations on the North Shore as soon as possible, especially for any weekend days.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

search some of the recent posts about north shore hiking and head all the way up to the Canadian border

you can come anytime

but the 4th of July fireworks and the Aquetennial Fireworks the last Sat in July are fun times in Minneapolis

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

Have you considered volunteering for a part of your trip? This is a wonderful way to really "meet" local people. Try Global Volunteers: globalvolunteers.org/usa/minnesota_projects.…

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

Definitely go all the way up to Grand Marais and maybe to Grand Portage and see Pigeon Falls. Then on way back down 61 there is a loop worth taking out of Two Harbors and up to Ely and around down to Virginia and Hibbing. The interior up there has a different feel from the Superior lakeshore areas and more of the northwoods and rocky lakes atmosphere. Near Hibbing is the "Hill of Three Waters" triple continental divide where water can flow to Hudson Bay, Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic (via Great Lakes). Returning to Twin Cities via Grand Rapids and US-169 would be a nice option - passing Mille Lacs Lake and through scenic farmland areas. A nice way to see some of the variety in Minnesota.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

People, let's not forget that the southern half of our state exists also. There are scenic small cities along the Mississippi such as Hastings, Red Wing, Lake City, and Winona, bluff country in the S.E. corner, Northfield which celebrates "the defeat of Jesse James-Younger gangs" in September, etc.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

Sounds like a great trip. In Grand Marais i would recommend the Angry Trout Cafe or Sven and Ole's Pizza. Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Light House are great things to see and have tons of hiking trails. If you are planning on being in Duluth a bit i would recommend Uncle Louis Cafe for breakfast. But like like the previous post the Lake Superior Hiking Trail is a very awesome hiking trail.

North, South...
Level Contributor
456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

we usually camp on our vacations. this time we will be looking to stay at smaller type motels. Do you have any recommendations for nice, clean reasonably priced lodging in this area?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

Since i live in Duluth i am not familiar with hotels in the city. But i have stayed at Lutsen Mountains Caribou Highlands in the fall for around 80 dollars a night. It is very nice and clean with great views of the landscape. It is about 2 miles off of 61. I have also head good things about the cliff dwelling Best Western right off of 61.

9. Re: first time in Minnesota, need lots of advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 20:18