We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel to stay?

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which hotel to stay?

Any hotel to recommend for 5 nights stay which has affordable parking rates and is convenient to travel to the University of Minnesota (East Bank Campus)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel to stay?

There are two hotels on the east bank campus, but if you have a car, I would think about not driving anywhere on the campus at the current time -- because of all the construction on Washington Avenue.

We have a nice assett on this board with experience with one hotel that I think might work out for a variety of reasons. That person is wouldbeworldtraveler. The hotel is the Holiday Inn Metrodome, which is located in a nice position to put you close to the campus while not being on it (with a car with all that construction) AND close to downtown Minneapolis for sightseeing and dining.

I recall the parking there to be about $14 a night in a covered ramp. That is less than you would pay downtown and I think about what you would pay on the campus at the Radisson (not sure about the Days Inn, which you might look into as well as that is away from the construction a bit).

I like the idea of being off the campus and taking a shuttle. Perhaps wouldbeworldtraveler knows if the Holiday Inn Metrodome does that kind of thing (using the 35W to University route these days).

Washington Avenue is torn up right now because of construction to add a train line connecting the campus with downtown St. Paul and downtown Minneapolis

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel to stay?

and for sure, if the hotel does not run a shuttle, there are many metro transit buses that run to the campus from downtown Mpls via Washinton Avenue (and now likely detoured to 35 W/University -- or maybe 10th Ave bridge)

www.metrotransit.org

Edited: 06 July 2011, 15:40
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,876 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel to stay?

If you have a rental car, I would look at the hotels in the Roseville area - they have very convenient access to the campus and the rates are likely lower. They have free parking, so you would only be paying to park on campus. And there are many stores and restaurants nearby, too.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g43477-Roseville_Minn…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel to stay?

Thanks for the kind words, MN!

Holiday Inn Metrodome is located on the West Bank of the campus and offers shuttle service to the full campus and Metrodome Light Rail Station. If you are flying in and don't need a car for other purposes, I would consider not renting a car and just taking the train to Metrodome station. You then call the hotel and they come to pick you up (as long as it's 7AM-1045PM). The advantage of Holiday Inn is, being on the West Bank you avoid more of the traffic and construction currently on the East Bank. Also, if you are visiting campus you qualify for the U of M rate. Call the hotel for a reservation and ask the agent for the University rate. Also, compared to its competition on the East Bank, rooms are generally in better shape in part because of the Holiday Inn brandwide "relaunch" requiring all hotels to upgrade or get out of the system.

Disadvantage is the East Bank is the main part of the campus, so if you want to be in the "complete thick of things" you will be either a 10-15 minute walk or shuttle ride. As far as parking, there is either the covered parking lot next door that is $14/day (not owned by the hotel, but you can put it on the hotel bill) or you can use the surface lot across the street behind Corner Bar. For this lot you pay the electronic box and put the ticket on your dashboard. I believe it's about $10/day and during the summer usually not a problem to find parking.

On the East Bank there is the Radisson University. Advantage is you are on the main part of the campus and everything is in walking distance from the hotel. You will pay for parking there too, however (I believe about $12/day, so not much difference). Disadvantages are, as mentioned, hotel is getting a little beat up and the management is intentionally not putting much money into the place because they're trying desparately to sell. Also, there is major construction both directly in front of the hotel and behind the hotel. I do not know if they offer their U rate to any visitor or if it has to be official University business.

Finally, on the East Bank there is a Days Inn/Days Hotel. Actually not too bad for a Days Inn and convenient to campus. That said, because of their convenience they tend to be expensive for the brand. No restaurant on-site.

On parking, if you decide to try meter spots MAKE SURE you are paying them on time. University police are notorious for ticketing meters!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel to stay?

By the way, Choline...I see you're from "across the pond". More information than you probably wanted, but If it helps your decision any the Holiday Inn brand is owned by IHG - which is ultimately a British company!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel to stay?

No kidding on the meters. If you have, say, 10 minutes left, they will check the next few meters and come back to your car to give you a ticket in 10 minutes and 1 second.

I would echo what wouldbeworldtraveler said about not renting a car if you don't have to. If all your business is on the campus, you would have a train ride to the hotel and a shuttle connecting you to the campus. And you would have a nice bit of sightseeing being not far from the downtown Mpls riverfront.

Plus, and I didn't know this, the Holiday Inn Metrodome has a university rate? I would check in with them first in your researching,

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel to stay?

Check out http://uwidecontracts.umn.edu. Click on "travel" on the left side and then scroll down to hotels. Holiday Inn actually has online booking link on this website, but other hotels detail their rates.

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel to stay?

Thanks for the advice. Though it sounds like renting a car is highly discouraged, but we need go with renting for various reasons. So we will look into staying in the Roseville area. It is a safe area to stay for a couple of nights right? Just wondering, is it possible to find parking on the daily rates lots that I saw from the campus maps.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel to stay?

Roseville is a safe area. Though of course there is a possibility of a breakin, it would be highly surprising to have it happen to you. That said, still don't leave valuables in plain sight - commonsense stuff, really...

Though it will be possible to find parking in the daily parking lots, if your thought is to stay in Roseville to avoid the daily parking charges at Holiday Inn or Radisson on campus, my suggestion is still consider these hotels. The reality is that parking on campus is nearly impossible to find for free so even if you save the cost of parking at the hotel, you'll still end up paying it if you stay in Roseville; you'll drive in and pay to park the car while on campus. You probably won't save money and by staying in Roseville you'll now have to drive 10-15 minutes one way. I realize you may have other business that takes you Roseville way, but if not I'd suggest staying at a campus hotel. You'll pay to park at Holiday Inn or Radisson, but you'll then be within walking distance of the campus or have shuttle service. Obviously your call, but something to consider...

Edited: 12 July 2011, 06:49
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel to stay?

On the safety front, I would say you won't have a worry in Roseville.

Other than that, I would still tell you to at least consider the hotels that are closer to campus (at least the Mpls campus) because of the reasons mentioned above. The shuttle would allow you to avoid the parking hassle (cost and finding a lot) -- unless the event you are coming for has you covered.

Also, Roseville's attractions near the hotel would be Lake Johanna and the Rosedale Mall. But I think the Minneapolis location mentioned already has better sightseeing and there would be no argument about better dining. All close by.

Just some things to think about.