We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where else to go in the USA in January

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
where else to go in the USA in January

We are from England and are going to Ely, Minnesota for a few days in January dog mushing but want to go somewhere else first, partly to get used to the time difference, but mainly to take advantage of the long journey. We haven't been to the USA before except for a very wonderful week in New York. We considered Chicago and Montreal (in Canada, I know!) but we thought it might be too cold to enjoy sight seeing. We don't ski or skate. We also looked at Cuba, but there are no flights to/from the USA. Any suggestions what we could do at this time of year?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
1,041 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where else to go in the USA in January

Florida.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where else to go in the USA in January

I would look at either the southwest -- Arizona comes to mind -- or the Southeast. South Carolina (Hilton Head, Columbia for civil war history, Charleston for beauty) is an option in the southeast.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where else to go in the USA in January

Key West, Florida. Went for the first time this past April and I can't wait to go back!

Edited: 31 July 2011, 16:20
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,018 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where else to go in the USA in January

It would be helpful if you shared more of your interests for determining the "side trip"? If you are looking for a Beach Vacation, there is a forum dedicated to this: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12289-Beach_Va… with some great ideas.

For Beach, I'd want to go pretty far south (ie. Key West), possibly US Virgin Islands, Costa Rica, or even Aruba - since winter weather has been unpredictable the last couple years. I go to Cancun every winter.

If you don't mind something a little more moderate in temps, maybe more historic or cultural, then maybe Charleston or New Orleans. Finally, you may want to give Las Vegas a shot, if gambling/entertainment interest you.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where else to go in the USA in January

From Cuba, you can fly to Thunder Bay Ontario Canada, just across the MN border and somewhat near Ely.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where else to go in the USA in January

I'll give you some suggestions on places that are fairly easy to get to from the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport. Getting to a few of the places listed aren't that easy.

Las Vegas - direct flights are easy and fairly cheap to get. You could see a show, the strip and rent a car to see Hoover Dam or drive to the Grand Canyon.

Florida - Miami and Orlando are 2 cities with lots of direct flights. You could go to Orlando and visit Disneyworld/Sea World/Universal Studio and Cocoa Beach or fly to Miami and drive south to the Florida Keys.

Arizona - Phoenix is another place with lots of direct flights. You could drive to the Grand Canyon from here as well and see some of the Southwest desert area.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
879 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where else to go in the USA in January

Another vote for Las Vegas. One of my favorite cities.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where else to go in the USA in January

New Orleans

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where else to go in the USA in January

Our main interests are art and architecture. Now considering going to NY again.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where else to go in the USA in January

Well, if you are looking for those two things you won't beat New York City.

However, after Ely you might consider spending at least a couple days in Minneapolis before flying to NYC. A very thriving arts scene, especially the fantastic theater scene and also many excellent art galleries or museums. Walker for modern art is one of the best.

In fact, it has been said that the two American cities with the most theaters per capita:

New York City

Minneapolis

One thing Minneapolis art scene would offer would be lesser crowds for its theater productions and art museums and galleris. It might be a nice comparison/contrast to see Minneapolis' art scene and then see the art scene of a city 50 times Minneapolis' size