We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

Delano, mn
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

I am trying to figure out a vacation for my husband and I the last week of august, outside of MN, but within reasonable driving distance, not crossing more than one state completly, I was looking into missouri originally, and now I have been looking into the glacier national parks in montana, thinking maybe someone else had a suggestion about somewhere I should look into, I looked into missouri because of A place I saw called the chateau on the lake, bewteen the osark mountains and a beautiful lake. The mountains made me start looking into the glacier park, So I love beautiful scenery, hiking, relaxing, away from the kids.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
1,020 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

Glacier is gorgeous, but it's a long way from MN. I suggest looking into Door County, WI. A great vacation destination about 5 hours from Mpls. Hiking, biking, kayaking, beach and many more things to do here. Great restaurants and kitchy shops. If you want to stay in MN the North Shore of Lake Superior is also a great destination.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 21:52
Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
605 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

We have been to both destinations. The Chateau is beautiful and is much closer than Montana. We can make it to Branson in around 9 hours of driving.

Delano, mn
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

Yeah montana is far, a little over 1000 miles, But I figured it would be worth the drive, leave on a friday afternoon, stop somewhere over night, and finish the rest on a saturday..............my husband as I type is driving through missouri right now, and he says its boring him, but I'm sure the area of the osarks is more beautiful........so considering I'm willing to drive 15 hours or so, then what would you say, I have always wanted to go to the door county area, and I've been everywhere along the north shore in mn. Thank you so much for your help and advice!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
605 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

There is not much to see as you drive through Missouri until you get to Branson, but SD, North Dakota & Montana has less to see in my opinion. I would spend 5 days minimum in Branson and longer at Glacier. Banff is beautiful. Door County is also a nice destination.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
352 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

Bonnie, have you been to the Black Hills? Lots to see there besides Mount Rushmore. About an 8-9 hour drive from Delano. My wife and I went to Yellowstone last year, 16 hours of driving but I can't wait to go back.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

Maybe a night or two in Deadwood, SD if you do Black Hills.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
356 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

Glacier is stunning and definitely worth the road time if not this trip then sometime in the future -- when we drove it from MN we did the long first day in the car, and a shorter arrive before noon second day. But I second the Black Hills road trip as more manageable while still involving beautiful surroundings in the Badlands and Black Hills areas -- maybe even spend a night or two in the Badlands for contrast, before spending time in the Black Hills itself, and then check out all the classic sights of Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the Custer State Park wildlife loop, the Needles Highway, one of the caves (Jewel or Wind), etc.!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
352 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

Black Hills vacation could include Medora, North Dakota in a loop. I 90 out to Black Hills, North to I 94 for the way home. Teddy Roosevelt Parks and the Bad Lands are very cool to drive through. Hotels are going to be scetchy because of the oil boom in North Dakota. If you like to play golf, Bully Pulpit golf course is considered one of the prettiest courses in the USA.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

We've been to all of the places mentioned and enjoyed them all for different reasons.

A couple other suggestions include: Mackinac Island, Indiana Dunes, Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee, Rocky Mountain National Park, and Yellowstone. These are all locations within about a 15-16 hour drive.

Good luck in deciding!

10. Re: trying to figure out a vacation away from MN.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 10:22