We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice places near I90

Torino
Level Contributor
167 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Nice places near I90

Hallo, I'm from Italy and next june I'm going to drive from Chicago to Mt Rushmore. It will be a long journey, so I would like to make a stop to visit some nice places. Someone can help me?

Thank you!

Robbinsdale...
Level Contributor
319 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice places near I90

Ciao miciagTorino-

About two hours west of Sioux Falls is Chamberlain SD. I have stayed here: http://www.thunderstik.com/summer-packages/

They rent rooms for the summer- and have some packages as well.

buona fortuna !

Torino
Level Contributor
167 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice places near I90

Ciao! Thank you very much! I'm also looking for some interesting places to visit. Maybe a nice town, a park, a fall or something else..

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice places near I90

Madison, Wisconsin or La Crosse, Wisconsin would be some towns to consider along I-90. Both epitomize American Midwestern citys/towns and have their own appeal. La Crosse may have more nature areas and appeal being along the River, not to mention a more unique town center area.

Once you cross into the state of Minnesota, though it is my home state the southern part of the state is not well-known for scenery. You will have much more grasslands and plains with less unique nature. The towns along the interstate are also generally very small and nice, but not terribly remarkable. You might try Myre - Big Island State Park. To be honest, I don't know much about the park, but is along the interstate. See …state.mn.us/state_parks/…index.html for some information.

There is the Mitchell Corn Palace in South Dakota. Very touristy, but if you're there anyway, why not right? Info at http://www.cornpalace.org/

Hopefully those thoughts will give you ideas.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 00:51
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
356 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice places near I90

I can't believe I'm going to recommend this but.....Wall Drug is a town a couple of hours west of Rapid City. It is touristy, but we had a really good lunch when we stopped there last year.(and free ice water) In Minnesota, if you need any outdoor gear you can stop at Cabella's Outfitter store near Owatonna. Enjoy the USA, ziggypop

Torino
Level Contributor
167 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice places near I90

Thank you very much for your help! I'll look at all the sites and I' ll decide where to make a stop for a night! La Crosse seems a very nice town and I like very much the idea of the cornpalace..

Ciao!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
857 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice places near I90

Most of Minnesota's major sites are located in northern MN. However southern MN does have some very unique features. As you enter Minnesota from Wisc. you are in the driftless area, the only portion of our state that was untouched by glaciers during 3 ice ages. If you take a side trip on Highway 61 (Of Bob Dylan fame) either N. or S. you will go along the Mississippi River, which features some beautiful bluffs. Turning westward you will go thru some wonderful hardwood forests full of wild game (deer, turkeys, coyotes) and streams full of trout. State parks in this region include, Whitewater S.P., Beaver Creek Valley S.P., and Forestville/Mystery Cave S.P. The area also has an Amish population centered around Harmony, MN. Nearby is Rochester, MN. home to the world famous Mayo Clinic.

…state.mn.us/volunteer/…driftless.html

Further west MN becomes farmland and is home to many quaint towns.

On the western side of MN. is Pipestone National Monument. A very important site for the mining of pipestone, which still occurs today. It also has a small waterfall.

http://www.nps.gov/pipe/index.htm

While it is a long drive to the Black Hills, there are many things to see. Once in S.D. don't miss the Badlands. And in the Black Hills, Spearfish Canyon, (lots of waterfalls), the Needles Highway, Custer State Park and at least one of the many caves, (Wind Cave or Jewel Cave National Parks.)

If you are in need of outdoor gear, as was previously mentioned, Cabelas has 3 other stores that would be easier to visit then our Owatonna store, there are 2 in S.D. (Mitchell and Rapid City) and 1 outside Chicago.

http://www.cabelas.com/

Enjoy your trip, hopefully you can come back to our state another time to see the largest freshwater lake in the world.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice places near I90

As you drive along Interstate 90, the Mississipp River is the border between Wisconsin and Minnesota. You will follow the riveer for a few miles. Although I've never been there, Great River Bluffs State Park is on the Minnesota side, and looks like it would be gorgeous in June.

That stretch of the Mississippi has a lot of bald eagles, and seeing one, even at a distance is a special treat.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
857 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice places near I90

Thanks Rikkasdad, how did I forget the eagles?!!

9. Re: Nice places near I90

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 10:26
Get answers to your questions about Minnesota
Recent Conversations