We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise

3 posts
Save Topic
Advise

Hi my name is sem i'm from mexico !!! Next july 2012 i will visite st paul because i'll study At university of st thomas for 1 year so , my questiones are when is the cold weather starting? Do i have to take there very warmer clothes or normal? I'd like you can give me the top 20 in minneapolis and st paul 'cause i will not have a lot time please dont forget to mention importants dates or show like concerts, parades or culturals events which i must attend not just places I hope you can help to me thanks

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise

July is a wonderful time of the year here, highs typically range from the 70s up into the 90s (F) and evening lows are usually in the 60s (F). Cool usually weather doesn't start until late September or early October.

The very cold weather usually starts in November and lasts through March or April - be prepared for temperatures in the 20s and lows below zero (F). It will probably be much colder than you are accustomed too and you will want warm coat, hat, gloves, and boots!

Assuming you're destination is St. Thomas campus in St. Paul (they also have a campus in downtown Minneapolis) you will have is excellent access to public transportation.

I would start with the the walking and biking trails along the Mississippi River (the campus is right i the river) on both the St. Paul and Minneapolis. A really lovely way to spent the day.

Edited: 13 May 2012, 17:47
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise

Thanks a lot Mrs or Mr.? Actually i'll attend my course At st paul' s campus and i am very exited about it. I wanna be there and make lots of friends i ll keep in mind your tips.

I live in Méx. City and hére always it is warm almost whole year i hope that the cold weather doesn't affect me

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise

Yes Minnesota is very cold and you will need very warm clothes, especially for walking around campus during the winter months. It will be a change for you, but you can make the cold weather a fun experience. Hopefully you will meet people that can take you ice fishing, snowmobiling, skiing (downhill and cross country), ice skating and sledding. Minnesota winters are cold but can be fun. Minnesota is not all cold and snow however. The summers in Minnesota are amazing. Make sure to get out on our many lakes and enjoy boat rides, tubing, water skiing, and wave runners. While visiting you should check out sporting events, either professional or cheering on The Tommies.

One thing you will learn very quickly about Minnesotans is we love to show off our state. Once you arrive and start meeting people, continue to ask the who, what, when and where's of the state and I'm sure you won't have any trouble learning the ins and outs of our great state!

Edited: 14 May 2012, 04:13
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise

The thommies!!! Ok from Now on this is my new football team and hockey team ??? haha i will cheer them as much as i can Pay tickets :) this would be my first time in snow wheather 'cause in mex city we dont have such as cold wheather i expect to make many friends who could show me the best places there

I have been searching in internet about st paul and looks amazing i like it a lot.

I will take advantage from this opportunity to walk over all the city

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise

One secret to dressing for this weather is to wear layers of clothing. When it's cold (20s) I would wear 2-3 layers,depending on how well you adjust to the climate. If it's really cold (0 or below), shoot for 3-4 layers. And if it's windy, that's a whole 'nother story!

You'll also need a good pair of snow boots - that are warm, waterproof and cover your ankles. You might want to look online now, as everything would be on sale. My favorite merchants are REI.com and LandsEnd.com. They have a 100% guaranteed return policy - just keep the receipt and bring them to any store here if you aren't happy with them. Not sure though if they deliver to Mexico.

6. Re: Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:15