We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip minneapolis - KC

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
324 posts
222 reviews
Save Topic
road trip minneapolis - KC

Hi We are planning to visit KC this summer. We are looking to drive from Minneapolis . Any suggestions on the road . We are from europe and may want to stop and do something fun along the way. Any ideas would be welcome!!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip minneapolis - KC

I hate to say it, but the trip there is through some pretty wide-open area. I would save your time exploring both Minneapolis and Kansas City. And then plow through on the drive through southern MN, Iowa and northern Missouri. Des Moines is the only sizable city you will encounter, possibly Mason City. It's possible I am missing fun things to do in those two towns but I just think you're better off spending time in Mpls and KC -- both cities with a lot to see. And a lot to eat. KC for barbecue!!! My favorite city for barbecue,.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip minneapolis - KC

It is a pretty straightforward 7 or so hour drive all on Interstate highway between KC and Mpls and I agree that you might be better off just concentrating on the two big cities,. You can make the drive a longer all day trip with a few stops on the way though there is really nothing that is a must stop on the way. But, that said, depending on your interests I am certain you can find a few fun things to do, if you want.

There are college towns (Ames, IA, or Northfield, MN, for example) and larger towns (Des Moines, Mason City, Albert Lea, Owatonna, for example) that will have musuems and parks. Clear Lake, IA, is where Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper played their last concert at the Surf Ballroom so, if you're a fan of the music you can stop there

If you have more time and the interest, there are routes that could be taken to give you an American experience that most European travellers miss such as the Amana colonies or veering east over the the Great River Road and Hwy 61 or Effigy Mounds National Monument, again way over on the eastern border of IA.

3. Re: road trip minneapolis - KC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 06:17