We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Minnesota Birders for advice?

toronto
Level Contributor
289 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Any Minnesota Birders for advice?

Hi - Going to have 2 to 3 days in mid June between leaving Minneapolis and entering Canada at Baudette/Rainy River (this is part of a longer Road Trip starting near Toronto Canada). Thought we'd like to see some different scenery (e.g. perhaps prairie as we have in past and will again be visiting some boreal-forest type habitat later in the trip) and do some birding. I've got the Pine to Prairie Birding Trail booklet, but there is "lots" in there, and difficult from the information presented to prioritize and narrow things down to, say 2 - 2 1/2 days of birding in the Western or Northwestern parts of the State. Agassiz and Glacial Ridge National Wildlife Refuges look good, but how much time needed for these and is access easy? Maybe I should prioritize some other preserves/parks instead? What town(s) best to make a base out of for a couple of days of daytrips? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 19:00
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Minnesota Birders for advice?

Thief River Falls will work as a base for Agassiz and Glacial Ridge. Warren or Crookston are other options up that way.

Haven't been to Glacial Ridge but Agassiz is easy access. Can't help you with prioritizing but maybe you can contact the Agassiz Audubon Society or the Minnesota River Valley Audubon Society (since leaving from Mpls) and ask these questions. Also, can look at Minnesota Ornithologists' Union and mou-net for information.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Minnesota Birders for advice?

Here is the M.O.U. website.

http://moumn.org

Along the left side of the pictures go to "Birding in Minnesota." Links there to "Birding Hotspots" and "State Parks." I grew up close to Lake Bronson State Park but wasn't a birder in the 1950's. I would think it would be worth a try or at least calling the park directly. It's set in a transition zone between prairie, bog, and forest. Hayes Lake in there description looks more promising but have never been there. Have birded Zippel Bay and saw common waterfowl and gulls but not piping plover which is why we went.

Roseau Bog is one of the hotspots but I think it's more a winter destination. Hard to get in off the road, leaves and vegetation makes it difficult to see, and the bugs will be nasty in June.

Further down on the menu is "Hotline Reports." Go to "Northwest Minnesota," and the person in charge of that does an excellent job of compiling reports for that part of the state. Check it a couple of weeks before you go to get some idea of what's around.

Most consistent spot in Minnesota for unusual species is generally the Duluth area and Lake Superior if you can fit that in. Lots of reports generally in the Duluth part of "Hotline Reports," but. again, it's not a prime time since migration and nesting are mostly over and things have quieted down until fall.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 01:01
3. Re: Any Minnesota Birders for advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 07:16