We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans to Memphis Highway 61

Liverpool
14 posts
Save Topic
New Orleans to Memphis Highway 61

me and my friends are staying in New Orleans and wanting to visit Memphis. We are thinking of travelling on Highway 61 visting places along the way. Could you let us know what the estimated driving time along this route would be?

burleson,texas
Level Contributor
845 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans to Memphis Highway 61

The drive is about 8 hours straight through but, I woulldn't suggest that you do it in one day. There is far too much to see along the way.

I am going to try to copy and past a link for a previous forum question--hope it works!!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28945-i195-k34165…

If that doesn't work, just look for previous forum posts.

When are you going? Are you interested in "The Blues"? Are you interested in gambling? Are you interested in historical sites? Nanaju

burleson,texas
Level Contributor
845 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans to Memphis Highway 61

WooHoo! The link works!

Liverpool
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans to Memphis Highway 61

Thanks, great help. Going in May after Jazz Fest. Didn't think it was feasible in one day if we wanted to stop and see sites.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans to Memphis Highway 61

If you take Interstate 55 without diverting over to 61N, a couple of good exits to plan a stop would be maybe Jackson, but more plesant would be Madison (just north) and Grenada (100 miles south of Memphis) due to the variety of food choices.

Don't wait very long to book rooms in Downtown Memphis in May. A month long festival is going on, predominately on weekends. A good thing about May is the beginning of block parties and rooftop parties. Thursday afternoons are Rooftop time with gatherings going on at The Peabody, The Madison, and Marriott Residence Inn (Guests only here) -all with river, sunset views.

Edited: 10 March 2010, 17:17
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans to Memphis Highway 61

If it is "sights" you want to see along this drive, I WOULD take US 61 rather than I-55. Not to be disagreeable, but....Madison is very pretty indeed, but very ordinary. There is history, culture, music, unique food etc. in the 61 route.

Bre sure and read through

www.visitthedelta.com for LOTS of info on each town between Memphis and Vicksburg.

Vicksburg and Clarksdale are good places to plan a sleep.

have fun,

Miller

Liverpool
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans to Memphis Highway 61

Sounds good, thanks

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans to Memphis Highway 61

I agree with the 61 route. Just throwing out an alternative.

8. Re: New Orleans to Memphis Highway 61

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2010, 05:16