We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Independence mansions, other sites

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Independence mansions, other sites

Since nobody must read the Independence forum, I'm reposting my question here. I'm trying to cram as much into my afternoon in Independence as possible before heading north to Liberty Jail, Far West and Cameron for the night. Will be arriving about 2 pm from Kansas City airport on 7/3. Besides the LDS Visitor's Center and Community of Christ sites,I thought it would be interesting to tour one of the above mansions as soon as we get into Independence. Which one is more interesting to tour, the Vaile Mansion or Bingham-Waggoner Estate? I can get 2 for 1 coupons to both places. I'll have 3 kids with me, ages 16, 19 and 22. Any other must-sees in the area that wouldn't take much time? Are there plenty of fast food places in the downtown area?

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Independence mansions, other sites

I've been to the Truman Library a couple of times and thought it was worthwhile.

If you don't get much response, you might want to post on the Kansas City forum since Independence is basically a suburb.

KCMO
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Independence mansions, other sites

Well I've been to the Bingham-Waggnor Estate on field trips and I can't say it was all that interesting. I liked the fronteir museum across the street from it better then the house. My kids did too. I've also been to the Truman Library and liked it better. As for fast food in downtown Independence, I can't think of any. But it's been a while since I've been to downtown Independence. However between 23rd Street, Truman Road and 24 Highway there should be some close by. All those roads are a few blocks from the downtown area

3. Re: Questions about Independence mansions, other sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2009, 06:19