We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas - Chicago via Route 66 = HELP!!!!

London, UK
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Las Vegas - Chicago via Route 66 = HELP!!!!

Hi all,

Myself and my boyfriend have signed up to do a Charity Challenge through the Grand Canyon next year but I thought while we were in the USA (currently in UK) why not book 3 wks off of work and make the most of it!!

The plan I have in my head is to fly into LA and spend 1 day there possibly 1 night (if anyone thinks I need more time in any of the place please let em know), then drive to Las Vegas for the evening were we will meet the other UK trekkers. The challenge then takes 7 days.

My question really is do you think its possible to drive whist still stopping off and enjoying some towns in 9-10 days?

As idealy I'd like to then fly from Chicago to New York for 3-4 nights (obviously that is pushing it a bit so any advise would be much appricated :-D

Looking forward to hearing back from you all!!!

Purcell, Missouri
Level Contributor
67 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas - Chicago via Route 66 = HELP!!!!

The way I read this, you want to know...

Can you drive from Grand Canyon to Chicago using the old Route 66 in a span of 9 days?

It's gonna be about 1800 miles using the interstate, so it will be longer (both time and distance) using 66. You'll be getting on and off the interstate all the time. So, can you do it? Sure, it can be done in 9 days, no problem.

Here is a detailed, turn by turn map of the old Route 66. You should be able to start in Arizona and follow it to Chicago.

http://www.historic66.com/description/

Go Cats

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,515 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas - Chicago via Route 66 = HELP!!!!

I agree that it can be done, but you also may want to use the interstates at times to speed you up a bit. We just drove from home (Topeka, Kansas) to Vegas and back last month and spent one night each way. If you haven't already posted on the Las Vegas Forum (and you also may want to try the Arizona/Grand Canyon forum) since there are many regulars who post on both of those forums and are very helpful with Grand Canyon/Rt 66 info :)

3. Re: Las Vegas - Chicago via Route 66 = HELP!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2011, 06:15