We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming To Montana

Hinton, West...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Coming To Montana

I am planning a trip to montana in august of 2008 for two weeks. I plan to fish at a lodge for 3days or so then rent a car and drive the rest of my time stoping from place to place. I am wanting to find the best places to visit from the far west of montana to the far east southern portions. I will be arriving in Bozeman. What are the top things to do and where should I eat and stay?? My activities include wildlife,fishing,history,beauty,and relaxation..All replies I appreciate so much and thank you.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming To Montana

I can't help you with much in Montana except Glacier National Park. Save a couple of days for it. More if you can. Beautiful place.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com

has pictures and some information. Link is at the top of the page.

Mountaineer fan?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,788 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming To Montana

There is so much to see, some big, well known places and some smaller, less well known.

Arriving in Bozeman, you can easily visit Three Forks, where the Missouri River starts. Also Lewis and Clark Caverns, both these places are state parks. Visit here for more parks and info: http://fwp.mt.gov/parks/default.html

Southwest of Bozeman is Ennis, which would be a great place to go fish! Nearby is Virginia City/Nevada City, restored mining town.

Yellowstone and Tetons are close to Bozeman, you could spend your entire tripi there. If you have not seen those parks, at least a couple of days there.

Glacier of course is an awesome trip. While there Flathead Lake nearby may be a fun recreation spot!

In the eastern portion of the state is Billings and many Indian battlefield parks and monuments, with Little Bighorn Battlefield Nat Mon being one of the most infamous (Custer's Last Stand)

If you haven't visited this link, lots of info http://visitmt.com/

Enjoy planning.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming To Montana

Gabe,

Keep in mind that Montana is the fourth largest state of the union, following Alaska, TX and CA, yet it doesn't even have a million people. The driving distances are far. In a two week time period you have allotted, if you drive from one end of the state to the other and back again, you will pretty much be spending your entire time in the car. Consider flying into one airport, such as Bozeman or Billings, then flying out of another, such as Kalispell (FCA) near Glacier National Park. Check your rental car prices for dropping a car at a different airport, sometimes that gets spendy, but using precious vacation time for excess driving is also costly.

Read through the various Forum posts for MT and you will find an abundance of recommendations. Once you get your airports and areas defined, it will be easier to hone in on what you need to know.

Also, for the month of August, you will be better off having accomodation reservations for any of the popular (and most beautiful) areas. You could "wing it" and find accomodations as you traveled, but then you'd have to be satisfied with whatever rooms are left open, and some of them will not be so desirable.

Enjoy the planning process!

4. Re: Coming To Montana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 05:48