We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding/Honeymoon in Montana?

dayton
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wedding/Honeymoon in Montana?

Hello! My fiancee and I are getting married in May of '08. We want to get married by a lake.. would like to stay in a cabin or chalet (not roughing it though, a jacuzzi or hot tub is a plus!!), somewhere near gem-mining.. private, but with plenty of amenities... fishing, hiking, boating... If anyone has any suggestions, please let us know!! We are still in the gathering information phase of planning, and we are down to 6 months!!

Thank you!!!

-Beth

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding/Honeymoon in Montana?

Since no one else is offering, I'll make a suggestion. I was going to suggest something around Glacier National Park but May isn't the time to go there. Still winter there.

Yellowstone National Park is an amazing place. In May you see all kinds of wildlife including the babies. There's hiking and trout fishing.

West Yellowstone is 14 miles west of the entrance gate (in Montana) as requested. This ranch looks promising as far as the kind of cabin you want. If you look at the top they have a weddings link too.

http://www.bar-n-ranch.com/

Here's a link to trip reports and pictures from our two visits. The June 2007 link would be the most like what you'd see. There's a possibility of snow and road closures at times. Its still kind of winter down there too.

www.alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_home.htm

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,860 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding/Honeymoon in Montana?

Weather in Montana in May can be iffy, cold or warm, snowy or sunny. If you want to be married outside, you may want to rethink where and or when. I am not sure how much fishing, boating and hiking is done in many parts of Montana in May. I know when I spent a summer outside of Yellowstone, it was cold and snowy into June!!

May further south is much more predictable. Colorado has good weather in May, as does NM and AZ. Check out Boulder, Estes Park, Keystone, Lake Dillon in Colorado. Maybe Santa Fe, Taos and Ruidoso in NM, and Flagstaff, Sedona area in AZ.

Good luck and congrats!

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding/Honeymoon in Montana?

Check out the town of Bigfork, right on Flathead Lake. Look through the Chamber of Commerce listings, also check out the Swan River Inn in Bigfork. Margrit has an entire restaurant and lodging accomodations for wedding parties, overlooking where the Swan River flows into Flathead Lake. It would be a gorgeous spot regardless of the weather (which could be anything in May....but will include fragrant lilacs "to die for" everywhere).

As for gem-mining....you would need to go down to the Missoula area, about 2 hours south of Flathead Lake.

Whitefish Lake Lodge in the town of Whitefish is also on the lake, and is a gorgeous setting.

Did you know that anyone is qualified to perform a marriage ceremony in Montana? No credentials needed.....

4. Re: Wedding/Honeymoon in Montana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 19:20