We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rodeo or Pow wow ??

Miami, Fl
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rodeo or Pow wow ??

Hello it's me again with another question... DH and I were debating whether going to Indian pow wow would be more interesting than the rodeo for the 4th of July celebration. Your expert and personal opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks,

SR

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rodeo or Pow wow ??

I have a favorite story about attending both of these events on July 4th.

Our destination was the Pow Wow, and we were amazed, thrilled, and entertained by the beauty of the dances, the costuming, the games, and the general ambiance of this cultural event. As Caucasions, we were most definitely in the minority, but experienced nothing but acceptance and welcome (OK, and a wee bit of indifference). Pow Wows are very family-oriented, with strict rules about no alcohol on the premises. Being immersed in this rich culture was an experience that stays with me, with very pleasant memories.

After several hours, we left the Pow Wow grounds, and drove right by the adjacent rodeo grounds, and decided to stop in and check out the action. What a contrast! White people laying drunk under the bleachers, others reeling from a few too many beers. We wound our way through the crowds and found a place in the bleachers. Before 10 minutes were up, after having surveyed the Fourth of July afternoon crowd baking in the hot sun, it occurred to us that it would be a real good idea to get on the road way before these drunk cowboys did. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. Just not a nice vibe, due to excess alcohol consumption and lethargy.

Now I still enjoy a good rodeo, but that side by side comparison was so stark in seeing the two different cultures: Indian and White.

So there you have it, a slice of life from our travels.

2. Re: Rodeo or Pow wow ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 19:19