We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating buying wild game

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Topic
eating buying wild game

Hi...

We will be taking a trip July 2008 and be in the following locations:

Red Lodge, Cody, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone (Canyon), Gallatin, Big Fork, Browning, Swiftcurrent and then on to Apgar Village.

My question is does anyone know of a good place that we cold buy wild game or even bison for burgers or good steaks for that matter that we can grill on our own?

Also we won't be eating out much and certainly cannot afford fine dining but are there any suggestions to affordable local hangouts that serve a good steak or even wild game. We would love to try something different. A hole in the wall would be fine!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating buying wild game

Consider driving to Polebridge, on the west side of Glacier NP while you are there. The saloon there serves up great food.

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: eating buying wild game

That is on my list of things to do.....that's my kind of fun!

MT
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating buying wild game

Be sure to stop at the brewery in Red Lodge, they don't serve food but it's fun and the beer is good.

Finding bison to make burgers should not be too hard, just look around at the local grocery stores where you're at.

Sounds like a great trip.

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: eating buying wild game

The Brewery sounds great...especially after a long plane ride!

Can the kids go? (8 & 12)

Red Lodge is our first night there and I am planning on having dinner at the Bear Creek Steak House....they have pig races! Thought the kids would get a kick out of it!

If I remember correctly it is right outside of town.

Thanks again for all the suggestions...looks like you did a similar trip.

MT
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating buying wild game

Yes, the kids can go to the brewery, there's no smoking there, just beer and popcorn. Also, right behind the brewery is a volleyball net and a playground they can run around in -- they might be a little old, but nice place to be outside at least.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating buying wild game

The IGA grocery store in Bigfork stocks bison meat for bison burgers. Tastes pretty much like hamburger, but way less fat, so cook for a shorter time. Bison burgers are also served in many restaurants. It's not wild meat, but it's good.

On the west shore of Flathead Lake you can find the world-famous M & S Meats. They stock a wide variety of smoked sausage, salami, pepperoni made from elk, bison, beef, these you can take on the trail for snacks and keep fairly well in a cooler. They also stock frozen wild meat that you could cook on a grill.

In Kalispell, locals like to eat at Nickel Charlies, a fun place for kids and adults, reasonably priced, good food. Right across Hwy 2 (Idaho St) from Walmart.

In Bigfork, Mountain Sun Pizza serves excellent pizza and ice cream. You can take it to go and picnic at Wayfarers State Park and have a swim, or eat there.

In Woods Bay, just a few miles south of Bigfork, there is the Raven, a Caribbean style bar and restaurant overlooking the lake that serves great food. Flathead Brewery is just across the street.

In Columbia Falls, about 20 minutes from the West Entrance to GNP, locals flock to the Nite Owl for ribs and chicken. Expect a wait, but so worth it if you love excellent ribs! A true MT experience, this wildly popular hole-in-the-wall.

Happy eating!

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: eating buying wild game

Thank You! Thank You!

This is exactly what I wanted to know!

Just wanted to pick up something different for putting on the grill...we can get bison here...but think it might be a little different for the kids out west.

Plus we will be grilling a lot and the same ole' thing gets old quite quick!

Now I know where to pick up supplies along the way.

I also read that they opened a large grocery store in Hungry Horse....would we want to make the trip there instead of the IGA? (we will be in Woods Bay)

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating buying wild game

The distance between Woods Bay and Hungry Horse is about 45 minutes. The distance between Woods Bay and the IGA in Bigfork is about 5 minutes. I don't know about the "large grocery store" in Hungry Horse that just opened, but I'm sure it's not all that large. The Super One in Columbia Falls is huge. It's about a 10-15 minute drive between Columbia Falls and Hungry Horse.

In short, you will have no trouble finding grocery stores convenient to wherever you our (but not inside GNP).

florida
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: eating buying wild game

RiverDays....Looks like we will be visiting every place you mentioned....as always your suggestions are right on the money!

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating buying wild game

Thanks for your kind words, IB4!

Another exotic meat you might try on the grill is emu. You can get it at the Bigfork IGA. It's like an ostrich, so I guess you'd call it poultry. They grow it locally here. A couple of nights of exotic foods and your kids will be howling for McDonalds, I betcha!