We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pomp's Pillar and Little Big Horn

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Pomp's Pillar and Little Big Horn

Our summer adventure will start by taking us from

Denver to Story, WY, for the first night..

onto visit the Battlefield of Little Big Horn, onto Billings and then Red Lodge for the night,

over the Beartooth to Cooke City..

We were thinking of visiting Pompeys Pillar..is this worth the side trip? If we visit the Battlefield at Little Big Horn around 9AM, can we get to Red Lodge by 3 or 4 if we take the time to see Pompey's Pillar?

Also,I read somewhere that the Battlefield is

rattlesnake haven..any experiences with rattlesnakes when you have visited?

Thanks for your thoughts

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Pomp's Pillar and Little Big Horn

I am not sure of the start and end dates (It may run Thurs-Mon), But the Crow Pow-Wow is going on during the weekend of Aug 16. We have a convoluted travel plan to fit that in, but it looks like an exciting time to visit LBH. We plan to stay in Harden that weekend, any tips for that area?

I think that I found the info on the Pow-Wow at the visitmt.com web site. (They also sent me a nice map with the info packet)

Montana
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Pomp's Pillar and Little Big Horn

The Crow Indian Nation fair is always the third weekend in August. This year 14-18 Aug. The site will be at the Crow Agency just north of Highway 212 and north of the LBH Battlefield. Enjoy!

13. Re: Pomp's Pillar and Little Big Horn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Montana