We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dude Ranch Experience?

Downingtown, PA
Level Contributor
420 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dude Ranch Experience?

Hi I am thinking of forgoing our carribean vacation next year and heading out west, something we have always wanted to do.

We will have our 8 year old daugher with us and really are looking for some suggestions for a dude ranch experience...horseback riding, outdoor activities, campfires, good food(the whole 9 yards!)

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I have been doing some searching and am feeling a little over whelmed!!

Thanks!

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dude Ranch Experience?

Beachgirl,

Try putting "dude ranch" into the search box within this Montana forum. You will find loads of posts about this topic.

You will need to do your homework on this vacation....first of all, Montana is a huge state, so there is lots to chose from over a wide geographic area. Second, there is a huge range of accommodations, and what seems "normal" for Montanans might be downright "funky" for your family. Check the reviews on as many travel sites as you can.

For example, our local dude ranch is the famous Flathead Lake Lodge, just outside of the quaint town of Bigfork. This place has families returning for generations, it has hosted numerous dignitaries and famous people, yet it also has reviews of the cabins being old and worn. I've not stayed there, only visited the grounds and eaten in the dining hall. It's a gorgeous setting, but for the money people spend on this experience I am a little puzzled that they don't upgrade the cabins. Anyway, it does come with all the ammenities you've listed above (the exception being "good food" as my multiple experiences with the food have all been "good average food".)

I commend you for stepping out to try an altogether different sort of vacation, and I wish you the best in finding just the right place.

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
320 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dude Ranch Experience?

Check out Mountain Sky Guest Ranch. Just north of Yellowstone Park. It's wonderful. Lots of families, lots of activities.

3. Re: Dude Ranch Experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 00:19