We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone tell me if Butte is a nice place?

chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone tell me if Butte is a nice place?

Hi folks,

I recruit pediatricians and am working for a group in the Butte area. Can anyone tell me about this area? Is it pretty? What will draw someone to this area? It looks like it would be pretty, surrounded by mountains. Thanks!

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone tell me if Butte is a nice place?

lillianw - some info can be found in post titled something like "help me choose between butte and missoula".

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone tell me if Butte is a nice place?

Butte is set in the midst of the mountains and has a lot of pretty country surrounding it. The town itself was a copper mining center up through the 1970's and has about 2/3rds of the population it did then so there are lots of older attractive buildings for homes and businesses at rates that a young pediatrician with a family and a pile of school loans would really appreciate. It's got some of the big box stores, lots of local color and character, the top mining school in the world, the state's biggest St. Patrick's Day party (pediatricians with Irish heritages will particularly feel at home), and the amenities of a city of 30-70,000 people. It's an hour or three to many of Montana's other cities, Yellowstone or Glacier National Parks.

A lot of big money from all over the country own summer places or trophy ranches within 150 miles in any direction while Butte itself is a middle class town focused on families. The challenge may be the sort of job or pay that the pediatrician's spouse expects.

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone tell me if Butte is a nice place?

Hi Lil!

You've asked about Butte, MT. Butte was a thriving mining town in the 19th & early 20th century. It had,

at one time

such large Italian population that the Italian government

gave them a small consulate all their own. Today Butte

is in a SAD state. The MSU School of Mining flourishes,

their are some pockets of suburban development, BUT

for the most part it is "run down" and full of empty store

fronts and it has been so for all the 16 years I've been in

Montana. Most places in the US would call the place "Down

at the Heel"! Some Montanans would build it up to let you

think its beautiful and glorious. These are the ones with

horse blinders on!

There are half-way decent hotels, motels and restaurants

out by the I-90 Interstate, BUT the downtown area is a dump!

Sorry folks, but it is! Many Montanans will tell you, "the butt

of a joke is called Butte".

The only saving grace is the mountain range seen from

the city. Apart from that the place is the pits!! NO Joke!

chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone tell me if Butte is a nice place?

Thanks everyone, for your answers. One of my docs I was thinking of sending there is from New Orleans and it's about as far away from there as you can get. Access to mountains and natural beauty close by may make it worthwhile. Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated:) Lillian