We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GNP weather and wardrobe

florida
3 posts
Save Topic
GNP weather and wardrobe

We are coming for a 10 vacation this week, split between Bigfork, Babb, Essex and Whitfish. Coming from Florida, what do we need in the way of clothing. Heavy coats, light jackets, ect... Any input us appreciated.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GNP weather and wardrobe

The weather can be anything, based on the elevation and the various micro climates. BRING LAYERS. Skip the heavy coats. Here's what my list would be:

swim suit, tee shirt, long-sleeved lightweight shirt for mosquito protection, shorts, long pants, fleece or lightweight jacket, rain coat or poncho, sun hat, sturdy walking shoes, river shoes or sandals, walking sandals, good socks.

I would also keep the number of items to a minimum, there are washers and driers here....I hate to lug large amounts of gear and pay extra on airlines and be weighted down...give your luggage some space for purchases such as a brand new Glacier Park tee-shirt, etc.

No need for fancy clothing....even if you love fine dining establishments, you can get by easily with clean, tidy clothing and your hiking boots...restaurants here know that folks in MT don't always dress up if they've been out on the trails. (Although Bigfork and Whitefish can both get a bit more chi-chi).

You will be visiting some gorgeous spots!

florida
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GNP weather and wardrobe

Thanks so much for your reply. I also do not like to lug extra gear. We will take your recommendations. Should we be concerned with mosquitos there? Was hoping we could get away from them, being on the "mosquito coast" here in Fl.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GNP weather and wardrobe

Be concerned about the big black flies. They bite hard. They also respected deep woods off.

If you have rain gear (as in jacket and pants) you have the light jacket covered.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GNP weather and wardrobe

Mosquitos and black flies vary by location. Right now here in Bigfork, alongside the river, we have a few small annoying mosquitoes in the evening. I've not yet resorted to DEET or any insect repellant because they simply aren't that bad. Other places they may be bad. You can pick up any sort of insect repellant here if you need it. DEET ("Off") works the best.

5. Re: GNP weather and wardrobe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 06:17