We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Across I90 in Early May

NEW ORLEANS
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving Across I90 in Early May

We will be driving across Montana on I-90 the first week of May. How will the weather be then? Where would you recommend we stop to see things or stay as we trek across the state? Thanks!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Across I90 in Early May

Montana is BIG. Trekking across it depends a lot on where you start from and which direction. Weather can still be variable on the two main passes - Lookout Pass at ID border and Homestake Pass near Butte. Bozeman Pass just east of Bozeman is not so high or prone to really bad snow compared to the other two. I've driven I-90 across MT in December and January a few times and suspect May would be pretty easy. More likely wet than icy but there is a chance a big storm could briefly make driving difficult on a pass. Wind has always been a bigger issue for me in Spring or late Fall.

Sydney, MT to Saltese, MT is a bit over 700 miles - about 11 hours of driving. If coming from somwhere in ND or WA/ID to cross MT in a day would be an even longer day.

We routinely drive St. Paul to Seattle and Billings is the halfway point at 800 or so miles so we stop there. But when not in a hurry we often stop in Missoula on the way home. Bozeman is very pretty and we like the hot springs outside of town. Butte is not as pretty but has a lot of history. Lately we have taken to stopping at Chico Hot Springs Resort because it is not far off the freeway (30 mi) south of Livingston. Very nice place, good soaking and great restaurant. North entrance to Yellowstone and Mammoth Hot Springs area is open all year.

More info about which direction and where coming from the night prior to reaching MT would help in advice to give.

NEW ORLEANS
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Across I90 in Early May

We will be starting in Seattle, with the destination being Minneapolis. I definitely appreciate all of your help!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Across I90 in Early May

No problem. Like I said we do this trip often...more so now with new Grandson in Seattle. The fly low trip is 2-days with Billings as the stop. Coming from West to East that is a little harder due to four mountain passes (Snoqualmie, Lookout, Homestake and Bozeman) so we have been known to check up at Butte or Bozeman. After Billings it is mostly flat and wide open across North Dakota on I-94. The I-90 route across SD is 150 miles longer.

If you have more than two days or any particular interests for things to see that might be near the freeway please post away.

NEW ORLEANS
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Across I90 in Early May

Any idea what those passes will be like the first week of May? What would you recommend we see along the way. We have no plans as far as that is concerned, and we will be crossing ND instead of SD. Thanks again!

NEW ORLEANS
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Across I90 in Early May

We wouldn't mind visiting some hot springs.

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
369 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Across I90 in Early May

Generally the passes in Washington (Snoqualmie) and Idaho (Lookout) will not have any problems with snow or ice in May, once in a while we get a fluke storm come through in May and it may snow on the passes but usually when that happens the air temperature is warm enough it will not stick to the roads. The only caution I would provide is if you are driving very early in the morning through one of these passes be aware that there may be some morning frost/freezing on the road.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Across I90 in Early May

Being close to Yellowstone, there are many hot springs between Butte and Livingston.

A partial list, west to east:

Boulder Hot Springs, Norris Hot Springs, Bozeman Hot Springs, Chico Hot Springs.

I haven't been to the renovated Bozeman HS, but of the four, it has the biggest variety of water temperatures in separate pools.

8. Re: Driving Across I90 in Early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2010, 05:17