We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury Montana Ranch

R R
Suwanee, Georgia...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury Montana Ranch

I would like to take my wife on a trip to a Montana Ranch. We are city people with not much outdoor experience. Looking for a ranch with a lot of instructor lead activities, great food and higher end accomodations

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury Montana Ranch

What time of year? Is there a National Park you'd like to be near? How old are you two, and how active?

Montana is a big place and varies a lot by season, so you need to be a little more specific. There are true luxury places but they are not as common as the camplike places.

What exactly do you mean by higher end accomodation? I don't know if you'd find that at a guest ranch. Perhaps at a BnB.

You might check into staying at Big Sky, which has some very luxurious private homes available for rent. That's a good base for activities in the area such as horse trips, river rides, etc. You don't have to be your own outfitter to go on the trips, but can return to your high end lodgings at the end of the day.

USA
Level Contributor
581 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury Montana Ranch

Well, you'll pay for the luxury, but . . .

Paws Up would be your place www.pawsup.com

Another options might be Moonlight on the Madison moonlightbasin.com/moonlightbasin/static/sta…

USA
Level Contributor
581 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury Montana Ranch

Oh, for some reason, after looking at the first post, I was thinking you were asking about camping. There are many upscale ranches such as Mountain Sky Guest Ranch in the Paradise Valley: www.mtnsky.com.

I'm not sure if The Lodge at Sun Ranch in Cameron is still operating, but you could try; I think it's up for sale.

A step down but still pricey are Lone Mountain Ranch or the 320 Ranch in Big Sky.

R R
Suwanee, Georgia...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury Montana Ranch

Thanks so much for your advice

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury Montana Ranch

Well... not a ranch exactly but they have horseback riding and an on-site stable plus lot of other activities at Chico Hot Springs in the Paradise Valley just north of Yellowstone. Excellent restaurant that uses lots of local ingredients. They have some chalet units up on the mountain side that are pretty "luxury" for the area. And then there's the hot springs pools really (large warm one and larger than average hot pool). Also a spa. In summer they also can arrange river rafting (rapids or calm float). It's sort of a favorite stopping spot for us between Seattle and St. Paul.

www.chicohotsprings.com

Edited: 03 December 2010, 19:03
California
Level Contributor
194 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxury Montana Ranch

I would definitely try the all-inclusive 'The Ranch at Rock Creek' in Philipsburg, Montana.

Newly opened in June 2010 and already gotten 10 rave reviews on TA.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxury Montana Ranch

I have no personal experience with the Ranch in Philipsburg, and it may very well be as great as described. However, I am always a bit skeptical of so many glowing reviews by people who have never posted on TA before. I have had experiences with lodging establishments who "encourage" their patrons to "join TA" and post a good review to "help them out", so I would make sure to check closely before making reservations anyplace.

Edited: 15 January 2011, 20:56
California
Level Contributor
194 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxury Montana Ranch

The Ranch at Rock Creek has also gotten very positive write-ups in Travel & Leisure, The New York Times, Town & Country, Food & Wine, The Robb Report, GQ, Andrew Harper, Virtuoso, and A Rare World.

These are all very exclusive publications, and don't usually cover places their wealthy clientele are likely to be disappointed by.

By the look of the Ranch at Rock Creek's website as well, it doesn't appear that they have cut any corners in truly trying to provide a luxury experience in Montana 'glamping', what with 600 square foot tents and 900 square foot cabins, and the myriad of activities that are part of their all inclusive package :)

Normally I'd be a little concerned too if a new resort mainly or only had reviews from someone with 1 post.

However given the amount of 'thumbs up' high end media exposure so far -- I myself am going to give it a try this May.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxury Montana Ranch

I second Paws Up. Triple Creek is outstanding also.

The Resort at Paw's Up @ 40060 Paws Up Road, Greenough, MT 406 - 244 - 5200.

http://pawsup.com/

Triple Creek Ranch @ 5551 West Fork Road, Darby, MT 406 - 821 - 4600.

http://www.triplecreekranch.com/

10. Re: Luxury Montana Ranch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2012, 06:17