We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NW Montana/Late August

Atlanta
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
NW Montana/Late August

Greetings - traveling to NW Montana in late August (very excited). Plan to spend a week in the park (Glacier) which leaves a week to explore other areas (flying in & out of Spokane).

Thinking Flathead Lake area, Flathead forest Jewel basin or the Bob Marshall area (although that might be on the rugged side for me :)

Interests include beautiful day hikes (up to 10 miles - happiest around 5-6 - moderate elevation gain), good food, museums & local culture.

I’m a solo female traveler who doesn't mind moving around a bit – a day or so here or there. Thanks!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NW Montana/Late August

I would fly into Missoula and go N to Whitefish then E to Lake McDonald and stop for a night at Essex at Isaac Walton Lodge. Then circle back around to Kalispell and then head S to Missoula. You will find more to do between Missoula and Whitefish than Spokane and GP. Good luck.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,307 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NW Montana/Late August

We loved our trip to Montana last August. We flew into Spokane and visited the downtown park area. We then toured the area around Lake Couer d'Alene, made our way to Polson and Flathead lake. Bought some delicious cherries there. We stayed in Kalispell but enjoyed visiting both Whitefish and Kalipsell. We spent several days touring Glacier NP. We enjoyed driving the GTTSR and touring the Many Glacier area.

Enjoy your trip.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NW Montana/Late August

Thanks everyone - great suggestions. I think I will stick with Spokane as I'd like to see Coeur d' Alene too. The Flathead lake area sounds beautiful. I will check out Essex - was not on my radar.

So much beauty - hope to capture a lot of it!

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NW Montana/Late August

For hiking in the Jewel Basin (an excellent choice!) check out this website: www.swanview.org The head of this organization, Keith Hammer, leads a group each and every Saturday into the Swan Mountains for a partial or full day hike, depending on what people are up for. You can sign up for his weekly email reports, which always include gorgeous photos. Plus they meet each Sat. morning at one of the best breakfast places in the whole valley--Echo Lake Cafe.

Flying into Spokane is an excellent option, usually save considerable money and there is plenty to do and see along the way. You can take the route through St. Regis, then Hot Springs in one direction, then take Hwy 2 through Libby and Sandpoint for the other direction.

For excellent food, local culture, and a very welcoming place for a single woman to lay her head, consider staying at the Laughing Horse Lodge in Swan Lake. That will put you within easy reach of many hiking trails within the Swan Mountains, (Bob Marshall) and the owner and chef par excellance, Kathleen, will give you all the hiking info you need. Plus you can use their kayaks to go out on Swan Lake if you like.

There's tons of outdoor concerts and local cultural things happening all summer long in the Flathead Valley. You will have a great time!

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NW Montana/Late August

www.swanrange.org is another site, related to the first one I provided. Both give excellent info for hiking the Swan Range (mountains south of Glacier, the west part of the Bob Marshall)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NW Montana/Late August

Thanks RiverDays! Just what I was looking for. I will definitely check out your recommendations. Let me know if you think of anything else :)

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NW Montana/Late August

Great info from RiverDays. I'll second the Laughing Horse.

8. Re: NW Montana/Late August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 07:34