We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flathead Lake Campgrounds

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Flathead Lake Campgrounds

Any suggestions for most scenic campground around Flathead Lake? We will be camping for 2 nights around the 15th-17th of April. Not looking for somewhere with loads of amenities, just somewhere relatively quiet and in a good position :) Thanks

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Flathead Lake Campgrounds

April 15th is early for campgrounds in Montana. I just looked at my Montana Vacation Planner and it shows that all the State Parks/Campgrounds on Flathead Lake (Wayfarers, West Shore, Big Arm, Finley Point, YellowBay) do not open until May 1.

There is a private campground in BigFork that is open all year- Outback Montana RV Park and Campground.

The KOA in Polson opens on April 15th. Two other private campgrounds in the Polson area do not open until May 1st.

Deb

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flathead Lake Campgrounds

Yes, campgrounds are mostly closed throughout April. Today we drove over to the Outback Campground to check it out for friends who want to reserve a space there for summertime. Right now it's looking a bit funky with year 'round RV's parked there, and most of the campground closed off due to the snow. But the owner was very nice, and she and her husband will be busy getting it cleaned up and ready for summer.

BTW, it snowed here this morning. It can snow at any time in April, so do come prepared for weather.

You will have better luck looking for National Forest Campgrounds--because some of those stay open year round, but with no running water, only pit toilets. For example, I believe the Swan Lake Campground may be partially open, and that's not too far from Flathead Lake.

Hopefully you'll find sunshine when here in April!

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flathead Lake Campgrounds

I forgot to mention....whatever place you find to camp will be quiet because most people don't camp in April in these parts. You'll have the place pretty much to yourselves.

4. Re: Flathead Lake Campgrounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 03:18