We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with planning a romantic getaway to Montana...

Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with planning a romantic getaway to Montana...

My husband and I are planning to spend our anniversary in Montana at the end of July. We want this to be a relaxing, romantic vacation, yet, we would like to see as much as possible within five days (excluding two days to fly in and out of Montana). We'd like to do either GNP or YNP (or possibly both?). Any suggestions on a cabin to stay? We're open on what airport to fly into (we're flying from DC) and would really appreciate any suggestions or comments... Thanks in advance!

Edited: 10 June 2011, 18:55
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,502 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with planning a romantic getaway to Montana...

So the 5 days does NOT include the 2 for flying, right?

You will lose a whole day driving from Yellowstone to Glacier so I would suggest EITHER Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP OR Glacier. If you choose the Yellowstone options, you can do 3 days in Yellowstone and 2 in the GTNP area. You can fly into SLC but then you lose 6 hours of drive time to the parks. You can fly in to Jackson, Bozeman or Billings which are closer.

Others can offer you suggestions for flying in to Glacier.

You might see what you can get as far as lodging. Many places are booked for the end of July. It's a very short tourist season, and it got off to a very late start this year. That may help make your decision on where to go.

Pam

USA
Level Contributor
623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with planning a romantic getaway to Montana...

Here's one recommendation. Since this is an anniversary trip, you probably want to stay in one place without a lot of moving around. I would suggest flying into Bozeman and staying at an upscale ranch like Mountain Sky Guest Ranch (there are others in the same Bozeman/Big Sky/Livingston area) which has a lot to do (riding, hiking, fishing, climbing, etc.), or a lot of beautiful romantic scenery to do nothing but relax with each other. You can visit the hot springs at Chico, and you can make a trip or two down into Yellowstone. My personal anniversary preference would be to stay at a nice upscale place, rather than lodging in the park.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with planning a romantic getaway to Montana...

Both previous posts are right on. Pick one place or the other to make your home base. If you pick Glacier National Park, you'd fly in and out of Kalispell (FCA). I recommend staying at The Lodge at Whitefish Lake, very upscale, and lots of excellent restaurants in Whitefish. You are still close enough to Glacier NP, Flathead Lake, etc. to have more than enough fun activities to fill 5 days.

You should check out airfares and availability of nice accommodations. Things book up way in advance here and airfares will be high, but if you're willing to pay the price (and can find decent accommodations) the trip should be fabulous!

For cute little cabins, look into www.vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner) in any area you select. Then ask a ton of questions about the place you're interested in before you book it!

Enjoy the romance of MT in the summertime!

4. Re: Please help with planning a romantic getaway to Montana...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 02:18