We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for lunch stop

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
looking for lunch stop

Any suggestions for a good lunch stop between Cour d'Alene and Gardiner?

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for lunch stop

Distance wise Butte would be the logical town. Lots of choices in variety of price ranges. Take Harrison Ave. exit and there will be many places to consider. Just off Harrison on Amherst Wetona's Coffee House and Deli is well reviewed although not recent.

Marco Island...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for lunch stop

When you get to Gardiner, eat the the K Bar. They have good pizza. And it is cheap.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for lunch stop

Thank you both!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for lunch stop

I would have a pasty at Joe's Pasty Shop.

Butte's other "famous food" is the pork chop sandwich at Pork Chop John's. I went there on my last trip and didn't find them as good as I remembered, so pass on that.

4B's a once-plentiful local operation, has a place in Butte. If you go, have the homemade tomato soup and a cup of custard for me!

We also went to a 100 year old Chinese restaurant on the second floor of a building downtown. It was very unusual and kind of a bit of living history. The food was American Chinese for the most part, heavy on the chow mein, BUT the roast pork is homemade and amazing. Plus it will get you into the downtown, which is quite interesting.

Coeur d'Alene to Gardiner is a long haul. I predict more than one meal will be consumed! Stop at Chico Hot Springs in Pray for dinner.

I think there is a 4B's in Missoula too, if you want to get out and stretch. It is a University town, so there are many choices but I can't say personally. Bozeman also has lots of great places to eat. Pickle Barrel subs, for one, and in a far different mode, Ted Turner's Buffalo place for another.

Edited: 27 July 2011, 04:25
united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for lunch stop

Seriously, there's a Pickle Barrel sub shop in Bozeman?????? I haven't seen one of those for YEARS; I thought they were all closed.

And I know that its a long run between CDA and Gardiner, but it can't be helped. Good thing is we get a couple days' rest before continuing on.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for lunch stop

IS 4B's still in operation? I had done a search for locations and saw an item related to them closing several locations and selling the rest to Town Pump (gas station chain). http://www.kulr8.com/news/state/7176941.html But I see now that was from 2007 so may be obsolete.

Not that they are anything special but we almost always stop in one when passing through Montana. Especially the one in Miles City. Burgers are good as are the breakfast items we've had. Very basic coffee shop fare but very popular with locals. A Montana institution so a good cultural peek under the hood. I hope they are still there when we pass through in late Sept.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for lunch stop

I'll look for the 4B's....sounds like a good place for taking a short break along the way.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for lunch stop

There is a Pickle Barrel in Belgrade, Bozeman, Livingston, and Billings. The ones in Belgrade and Livingston would be the easiest to access off the interstate. The Pickle Barrel in Belgrade is right next to the Lee and Dad's IGA which is off the I90 exit as you go into town. The Pickle Barrel in Livingston is located at 31 South Main.

Another neat place to stop for sandwiches is the Wheat Montana Bakery just west of Three Forks (exit 274). I'll be stopping there Saturday morning for a bakery treat on my way to pick up grandson at his church camp at Lincoln before going on to Glacier Park for our 5 day camping/hiking adventure.

Dang......now I'm hungry for a Pickle Barrel Downtown Chicken sub.......where's my keys! : )

Deb

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for lunch stop

I am amazed that they still exist. I went to school with the daughter of one of the owners...but she never mentioned west coast connections.

Maybe they are franchised, as all the ones I knw were in the Southeast US.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for lunch stop

The Pickle Barrel in Bozeman has been there since the mid 1970's. I know the one here in Billings has been here since the mid 1990's. My brother lived in California for about 5 years and whenever he flew back from a visit here he had to stop and get a Pickle Barrel sandwich for his wife.

Deb