We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 2012: Trip advice

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
August 2012: Trip advice

Hi

My mum and I are going to Southern British Columbia (Nelson) in August 2012 from Ireland. We have already travelled extensively in BC and are thinking about heading over the border to Montana as we have family roots in Butte. We are completely undecided about what to do with our 10 days but were considering Glacier National Park and perhaps even as far south as Yellowstone.

Is there any advice of places we should just not miss in this area?? Any advice whatsoever would be appreciated. How does Glacier Natl Pk rate? Excuse my ignorance but I just dont have a clue of this part of the world!

Many thanks in advance.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August 2012: Trip advice

The U.S. Glacier National Park (not to be confused with the Canadian park of the same name) is a very rugged area of the Rocky Mountains. While it has spectacular scenery from the Going to the Sun highway it's primary draw to stay for longer periods is its extensive hiking trail system. If you are into mountain hiking this is fabulous. If hiking is not your thing then a shorter visit will suffice.

If you don't spend all of your time in Glacier, then I think a visit to Yellowstone should be high on your list of things to do. Where else can you drive into the caldera of the worlds largest active volcano, see half of the world's geysers, see large animals right outside your car window, climb mountains in your sneakers (Mt. Washburn can be done in this footwear, my wife did it) and visit a large lake at high altitude. Yellowstone is large enough that we usually suggest that people allocate 4 or more days to it even if hiking isn't in your wish list but Yellowstone also has many miles of trails that can take you into the backcountry that few people visit, or just a short stroll to view a waterfall or geyser without all the tour bus crowds.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August 2012: Trip advice

Butte has a rich Irish tradition from men who came over to work the copper mines. It's an interesting town in that the town grew up around the adits to the copper mine. There are still some of the big headframes standing in town altho copper hasn't been mined since the 80's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butte,_Montana

As usual, I agree with RM-MN in that Yellowstone would be a terrific place to visit. There is a TA Yellowstone forum under Wyoming. If you do decide to visit Glacier or Yellowstone, you would need to book well ahead. Yellowstone is about 2.5 hours from Butte.

Pam

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August 2012: Trip advice

Glacier is a great park, as well as Yellowstone. Lodging choices in and around Glacier are far less than Yellowstone, so you need to try and get your plans made and find lodging. I suggest staying in park if possible, as many of the towns are 30 to 60 minutes to the park. Do you want to hike or just sightsee? That will help everyone give you advice on length of stay and activities.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August 2012: Trip advice

Thanks for the advice and sorry Im only getting back now! Over the past few weeks we have been looking at our options further and our big concern is the amount of driving that we will be doing so we are trying to fit everything in. We are more sightsee-ers than hikers although any easy walks that we could take to lakes/sights etc would be great. Also open to the idea of cycles (so long as the terrain is not too steep!).

We are really conscious of the lodging too. We wont have an RV/camper van and will be looking for hotels/b&bs/lodgings of some sort all the way.

We are tryinig our best to utilise our days. At the moment we will arrive on day 1 from kimberley to glacier Natl Park, have that day and then at most another 7 days...so not a lot of time to do Glacier and Yellowstone!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August 2012: Trip advice

Your 7 days is indeed a short time for a visit and you should know that it takes almost a full day to drive from Glacier to Yellowstone. However, there is nowhere else in the world where you can join millions of people and drive into the caldera of the world's largest active volcano. There is nowhere else where you can see nearly half of the world's geysers along with mudpots, hot springs, and fumaroles. Yellowstone seems to have a lot of animals that love having their picture taken such as bison. elk, bears, wolves, etc. I'd encourage you to take a hard look at the time and distance to make up your mind.

Glasgow, MT
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August 2012: Trip advice

I would suggest visiting the Eastern side of the state, too. Our too-often-forgot part of Montana is full of activities to partake in. No where else will you find the untouched beauty of the Northern plains like you will here. Fort Peck Lake is chock full of Montana history!

This year is the 75th anniversary of the building of the Fort Peck dam and spillway. The Corps of Engineers is planning a big celebration in honor of the hundreds of men who labored to create what was the largest hydraulic filled dam in the WORLD until one built by the Chinese in the '80's surpassed it; It is currently the largest hydraulic filled dam in the U.S. Fort Peck Lake is also the fifth largest man-made lake in the U.S. boasting a coastline longer than the state of California's.

US Army Corp of Engineers website: …army.mil/visitors/projects.cfm…

The historic Fort Peck Summer Theater is also a must if you're in the area. Built during the creation of the dam in the 1930's, it's rustic charm and world class actors have been entertaining Northeastern Montana's for decades!

Fort Peck Summer Theater website: http://www.fortpecktheatre.org/

The town of Glasgow is located 15 miles north of Fort Peck and has many options for lodging. The Fort Peck Hotel is also a good option if you plan on staying in Fort Peck. Check out Glasgow or Fort Pecks TripAdvisor page for more info!

7. Re: August 2012: Trip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 10:20