We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we go for a day trip?

Quilcene, Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
Where should we go for a day trip?

My wife, son, and I are going to be staying in Big Sky, MT for four days this June. We are of course going to spend a couple of days driving and walking around Yellowstone, and we are driving back to Washington through Virginia City. So I am wondering where EAST of Big Sky should we go for a day trip. Any help would be much appreciated!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we go for a day trip?

If you look on a map, you will see that Big Sky is located on a road that is connected to West Yellowstone and Bozeman. Everything east is quite a long drive away so head for Bozeman and enjoy the shops on Main Street and the Museum of the Rockies.

Quilcene, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we go for a day trip?

Anywhere else? It doesn't necessarily need to be east, just as long as its not west. I like Bozeman, it's cool, but I've been there. I wanted to reserve one day of our trip for somewhere that NONE of us have been.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we go for a day trip?

Everything I can think of is a loooong drive from Big Sky. Cody is a neat town with a great museum but I wouldn't want to go just for the day. Red Lodge and Bear Tooth Highway also long drive. How about rafting or a guided fishing trip.

Grand Tetons would also be quite a drive.

USA
Level Contributor
579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we go for a day trip?

Quake Lake and Lewis & Clark Caverns?

Quilcene, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we go for a day trip?

Quake Lake sounds good. Maybe we'll check that out. Hopefully the weathers warm! We are definitely doing the caverns. We are going to hit them on the way TO Big Sky. Our son is almost two and I figure that would be a good break from the road trip to get him out of the car and tucker him out for a bit!

MT
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we go for a day trip?

Maybe Chico Hot Springs if your son likes to swim? Or even just spend the day in Big Sky? There is a nice short hike to a waterfall, or take a scenic ride at the ski resort?

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we go for a day trip?

Where is that wolf preserve? Isn't it near Hebgen Lake?

8. Re: Where should we go for a day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:16