We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beartooth Hwy or not?

Alstonville...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beartooth Hwy or not?

A group of 4 "mature travellers" (late 50s-early 70s) from Australia, visiting mid June 2012, we will be spending 4 nights at West Yellowstone before heading north to the Canadian Rockies (Banff/Jasper). Given that we will have already done a cruise from Vancouver to Seward and had a few days at Denali NP in Alaska and that we don't have a lot of time after that, I'd appreciate advice on whether to try to fit the Beartooth Highway into our itinerary and whether the GTTS Rd would be a preferred trip if it is open.

Tentative plans (and yes, we can cope with long days of driving though not many in a row) are to leave West Yellowstone Monday morning, stay Browning or St Mary Monday night (whether via Beartooth Hwy or not - we know it would add a few hours to the day's drive), stay Waterton Park Tuesday night, arrive Banff Wednesday night. I know this is tight and rushed, but we do want to fit in as much as we can - it's a "one and only trip" for 3 of us (and a return visit for #4 in the group though she has done neither Beartooth nor GTTS). We plan to do most sightseeing from the car and scenic viewpoints (few walks etc.).

Thanks in anticipation, Jill

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beartooth Hwy or not?

You will not have time to fit in the Beartooth Pass with your plans of coming from West Yellowstone and getting to Browning/St Mary in the same day.

If I recall correctly there isn't too much for lodging in Browning. You might also want to check into St Mary lodging as soon as possible as it fills up quickly. I've been trying to get something for my late July trip to break up our tent camping and unless there are some cancellations between now and then everything I've looked at is booked solid.

Deb

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beartooth Hwy or not?

Mid June covers two weeks so I would not count on GTTS being open. Also you should not have a problem getting lodging at St Mary as peak season is not till July. I would not recommend Browning. Kind of a scary place.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beartooth Hwy or not?

We stayed in Babb at the Glacier Trailhead Cabins. They still have some isolated openings in July and quite a few in June.

4. Re: Beartooth Hwy or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:41