We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

1 post
Save Topic
theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

Hello all,

We are moving cross country and we were hoping to visit TR National Park again on our way. We were there 10 years ago and LOVED it. Now, however, because of the oil boom in the area, accommodations are very hard to find and very expensive.

My question is, does any one have any recommendations of places to go, things to see from Medora, ND to Lewistown, MT? Places to swim, hot springs, nice hiking parks, etc are all high on our list. Also good little cafes to eat pie. :) If you know of a good scenic route, we would love to hear that also. Many thanks.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

Via Glendive and Circle to Lewiston via mt200. 200 is the Lewis and Clark hw it's just a 5 hours drive between Medora and Lewiston.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

As my dad would say, one of the big tourist attractions out that way is seeing the curvature of the earth! There really isn't much out there. The very few roads you see on the map are really all the roads there are, and almost no one lives there. It is desolate and, I think, beautiful. Some people really do not like the openness. In Garfield County, there are roughly 1200 people living in 4850 square miles of space.

The dinosaur trail is in and around the area.

centralmontana.com/specialinterest/…

Check out the CM Russell country website itself, at centralmontana.com

There is a "locals recommend" tab for the Southeast Montana regional site.

http://www.southeastmontana.com/

Lewistown itself is a nice little town, a major metropolis for the area! Great fishing nearby in Spring Creek. I know for sure there is a cafe in town that has great pie.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

My parents suggest going to Fort Peck, which is a summer community. They have a summer theater and a historic hotel. The dam is historic. You've probably seen pictures of it on old Life magazines.

There is a good place for pie in Winnett called the Kozy Korner.

Also recommended is the Jersey Lilly bar in Ingomar, and having pie in Winnet. You would have to take 90 down to 12 to get to Ingomar. It is not a bad route, either.

visitmt.com/listing/…

The Jersey Lilly is named for Lillie Langtry, a woman of fame and scandal from the late 1800's. Like most Montana bars, it is in a former bank. Look for bars named The Mint and other similar names. The other popular name for bars is The Stockman. Bars in Montana are kind of like community halls and are very friendly. Don't hesitate that there may be unfriendly rednecks inside. Not so.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

The drive from Circle to Fort Peck is a scnenic one and Fort Peck Lake is worth the visit indeed. Ainwa, did you know Lillie Langtry even had a town named after her? Langtry Tx, Judge Roy Bean, Law west of the Pecos! But Lillie has never been to Langtry.

Off topic off course...

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

I doubt Lillie ever went to the Jersey Lilly either. Not too many people have, even though it is locally famous.

I did not know that Langtry TX was named for her!

Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

Hi All

My wife and I are planning a trip next year that will take in part of the region being discussed here. We are planning two nights in Medora giving us a day to take in the T R National Park. That oil boom you mentioned explains the high hotel prices. We plan to travel west from there going via Glendive, stopping in Miles City for one night then on to Lewistown for two nights. I've read that the Range Rider Mus at Miles City is worth seeing and Makoshika SP near Glendive is too. We've also read that the Judith Mountains near Lewistown are worth a visit. Can anyone confirm these views.

Ron

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

Sorry, can't help you with your question about the views, but here is an article in our local newspaper that will give you a heads up about the Bakken oil boom in eastern MT:

dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/articl…

You will want to try and avoid overnight stops in the Bakken region.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

Ron,

It is better to start your own post. New posts on an old thread are sometimes not opened, so you won't get as much advice.

We don't have any regular posters from eastern and central Montana, but can ask my friends about the museum and Makoshika.

Lewistown is well worth visiting as long as you don't have the National Parks bug. It sounds like you don't.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,569 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

Riverdays, very interesting link. Thanks.

Pam

10. Re: theodore roosevelt nat'l park to Lewistown, Montana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2013, 10:15