We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butte to Portland , Or

Manitoba
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Butte to Portland , Or

We have a truck at the Ford dealer in Butte as we broke down yesterday on Highway 55 south of Whitehall. Our trailer was towed to the KOA. Thank you, AAA!

My question is what is the best route to Portland with a truck and trailer and why is that so?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Butte
Butte
Montana
West Glacier KOA
West Glacier KOA
287 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Butte to Portland , Or

Well, there was some of that on your previous thread on the Road Trips forum here:

tripadvisor.com/…37568524

If you are having truck problems, I would definitely go the easier way which would be down I15 from there in Butte, picking up I86 near Pocatello ID to connect to I84 and then West to Portland from there.

I think it is more scenic going West on I90 and picking up US 395 past Spokane which will take you on down to connect to I84. This is thru mountains, so while not switchbacks which was your previous concern, it is up and down significant grades.

You ~might~ have less smoke going over I90 especially in Idaho, but that is just a guess.

Pam

Edited: 30 August 2012, 17:48
Mentioned in this post
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Butte to Portland , Or

We used to live a couple hours south of Portland and tried every possible route. D0bby's route is the one we decided

was the easiest:

W on I-90 past Spokane to Ritzville

S on US-395 past Tri Cities to Umatilla / Hermiston

W on I-84 to Portland.

Getting through the Cascades on I-84 is by far the easiest route. You could take I-90 to I-5 south, but I wouldn't. We felt the route south from Butte to Idaho took too long.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 18:30
Mentioned in this post
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Butte
Butte
Montana
Manitoba
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Butte to Portland , Or

Many thanks. We shall do the I 90 , 395 to I 84 starting tomorrow. Plan to stay in Ritzville the first night.Truck is to be done this PM.

With our modifications we plan to be in Portland on Sat . After the weekend, we shall head to the 101. I think we shall not go to far south and am thinking of starting near Toolamook and slowly head north towards Astoria. Could you suggest a route from Portland to the 101?

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Butte to Portland , Or

There are several routes to 101 from Portland, depending where on the coast you want to end up.

To get to Tillamook, take I-84 into town; get in left lane and follow signs to Hwy 26/Beaverton. This involves going up a fairly steep freeway hill, but there are 4 lanes so you can just get in the far right lane and go slow. Stay on 26 through the urban area past Hillsboro. The road (no longer a freeway) divides with the left lane going directly to Tillamook (Hwy 6) on a fairly windy, but decent road. The right lane remains as Hwy 26 and goes to Cannon Beach and Seaside.

Note that the town of Tillamook is not on the beach, but there are campgrounds, many of which take reservations, that are by the beach.

Cannon Beach is the "beachy" town with lots of boutique type stores. Seaside is more family oriented with arcades, etc. Astoria is a wonderful, historic town. It is near the beach, but actually on the Columbia River.

Enjoy Oregon!

Mentioned in this post
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Columbia
Columbia
Missouri
Oregon
Oregon
United States
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Butte to Portland , Or

Is there a place to stay in Ritzville? Make sure before you leave Spokane. I think I would just stay in Spokane. There is another pass between Kellogg and Coeur D'alene, so it will take awhile to make the trip. I'd guess six or seven hours of drive time.

Mentioned in this post
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Butte to Portland , Or

I would post on the Oregon forum. Having lived there, I would personallys skip Tillamook. How many days do you have on the coast? I like the area from Lincoln City to roughly Reedsport best.

I also like Cannon Beach and Seaside. The big inland section between Cannon Beach and roughly Lincoln City is not my idea of fun.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Manitoba
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Butte to Portland , Or

Thanks to all of you as your timely information is well used. NOW the Ford dealer is looking at injectors as well as a high pressure pump. So we await tomorrow to see where and when we can leave Butte. It may be after the long weekend.

RV'ers reality sometimes is frustrating.

Rest assured your time to respond is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Butte
Butte
Montana
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Butte to Portland , Or

I hope you are taking the chance to explore Butte! It is a pretty cool place. The mineral room on campus, the mining museum, the blast-from-the-past downtown, the Berkeley Pit -- all worth seeing. Be sure to go to Joe's for a pasty (with gravy is best, in my opinion). I'd skip the "famous" pork chop John's sandwich, but that's just me.

If you end up there for a weekend, make lemonade out of your lemons and tour the local area. There's lots to do.

Mentioned in this post
Butte
Butte
Montana
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
Manitoba
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Butte to Portland , Or

We have been on the Berkeley Pit Tour and the Underground City Tour. Both well done . This was quite a place in the early 20th Century.

Mentioned in this post
Berkeley Pit
Berkeley Pit
266 Reviews
Butte, MT
10. Re: Butte to Portland , Or

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 10:17