We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Fishing in Montana

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Fly Fishing in Montana

Hi! I'm hoping someone has some suggestions/advice for me. I would like to plan a surprise trip for my Husband's 40th Birthday. He's always wanted to go fly fishing in Montana. I have no idea where to begin? I've gotten really good advice on other trips from trip advisor forums in the past.

We would go late April or early May. Looking for places to stay, guides, etc. Any suggestions or advice would be very helpful!

Thanks!

MB

USA
Level Contributor
593 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly Fishing in Montana

Gallatin River Lodge outside Bozeman caters ro fly fishermen.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly Fishing in Montana

The Bozeman / Livingston area is prime fly-fishing country.

The Madison, Jefferson and Gallatin rivers, which meet at Three Forks to form the Missouri, are all excellent for fly fishing. The Yellowstone north of Livingston is also excellent.

Look on the Montana Outfitters and Guides (MOGA) website to find an outfitter.The website will help you find a geographic area and guides that work within it.

Calling Dan Bailey's Fly Shop in Livingston would not be a bad idea.

Have you ever seen the movie "A River Ran Through It" (or read the book)? The book is set in the Bitterroot south of Missoula, and was filmed in Bozeman. It's one of the few fly-fishing movies out there.

Another classic place to fly fish is the Bighorn over by Custer Battlefield. It was closed to fishing for many years and is somewhat legendary.

The Stillwater near Red Lodge and Absarokee can also be fun.

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly Fishing in Montana

Thank you! Very helpful and I love that movie!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly Fishing in Montana

Great! Have fun fishing!

You can spend a lot of money on glamourous guide services. But you will learn how to fish the holes in each river - they're all fished differently. Having access to a boat makes it worthwhile, too.

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly Fishing in Montana

I just went fly fishing with a company called Madison River Outfitters out of West Yellowstone. They are an amazing company with very experienced guides. One day my guide was Alice owsley on a walking fly fishing excursion along the Madison River and then I had a down the river in a boat fly fishing excursion with Mickey Wooten..all through Madison River Outfitters. They are professional, instructive and I am going to do more when I get back to California. Oh yes..I caught between the two days tsay 20 fish...wow..catch and release.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 14:26
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly Fishing in Montana

Glad you had fun fishing, learned a lot and didn't get skunked!

Canberra, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly Fishing in Montana

How did you get on? Catch a few?

8. Re: Fly Fishing in Montana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:19