We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car insurance for under 25's

Wanganui
3 posts
Save Topic
Car insurance for under 25's

I am from New Zealand and am coming to the states in September for three months to see my family and friends. I will be spending half the time with my grandparents in Missoula and plan on spending the rest of the time roadtripping around with my boyfriend.

We are both under 25 and are looking at buying a cheap second-hand car in or around Montana and driving through California finishing up in Georgia.

What I'm looking for is an approximate quote on insurance for third party for under 25's? What is the best/cheapest insurance company to use? I will be able to use my grandparents address and may even be able to register the car under their name and be added as an extra person covered by the 3 party insurance..

I am keen on traveling by car as I've heard this is the absolute best way to travel around America but I also need to be as cost effective as possible.

Any information about this topic would be greatly appreciated! :)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,167 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car insurance for under 25's

You might want to post your question on the Road Trip forum. There are several UK/European residents that are DE's there and may have some information for you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Pam

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car insurance for under 25's

You should have your grandparents talk to their insurance company. Hopefully they have a friend with an old car they don't know what to do with so you can get a reliable one cheap! Owning and selling a car isn't worth it unless you're going to be here a long time (longer than 90 day visa). Insurance will cost you about $700 and is for six months, for example .

3. Re: Car insurance for under 25's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 06:21