We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

Hi.. we thought about traveling from Yellowstone to Spokane but it may be a little too far for us in one shot. Butte is too near so does anyone know if there are any hotels or motels in between Butte and Spokane. Maybe 2 hours after Butte would be ideal.

Thanks... Sue

Central Montana
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

Missoula is west of Butte and has tons of hotels. One of our favorites there is the Stone Creek Lodge. It's only about 5 years old, all suites, and often just a bit more expensive than the very cheapest tier of hotels in Missoula.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

Missoula is the go / no-go point. Once you pass Missoula, there is a Super 8 in St Regis that's decent. After that, you have to cross a major pass to get to Wallace Idaho or Kellogg. There are bigger hotels in Kellogg, but Wallace is cute. There's another pass between Kellogg and CDL. It isn't that big, but good to know about.

We drive from Seattle to Missoula in one long day, then Missoula to West on a medium length day. Neither is short! Last year we made it from Three Forks to Seattle in one day on the way home, and we are only middle-grade marathon drivers!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,553 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

I agree with Ainwa about Missoula being the go/no-go point as well. I drive from West Yellowstone to a couple hours south of Coeur d'Alene routinely, so to me Yellowstone to Spokane is not a bad haul. It does depend on what time you leave in the morning. I would not much like driving I90 over the mountains in the dark.

Where will you leave from and will you sightsee first or just get on the road?

Pam

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

I have read the replies and appreciate the advice. We are leaving West Yellowstone on Aug 2nd and hoped to travel to Spokane for an overnight stay then continue to Seattle where we are booked for the 3rd. Is the West Yellowstone drive to Spokane a little too much? We don't know the conditions of the highway or what kind of problems we may have so again...would Missoula be a better choice?

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

West Yellowstone to Spokane is not too far, but get going in the morning. You will want to do the entire drive by daylight. Spokane to Seattle is only 4 to 5 hours. It is a good idea to get reservations in Spokane.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

We really appreciate your reply and advise, we will do the Yellowstone to Spokane as planned and as advised have already booked a hotel in Spokane. thank you.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,553 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

This route will cut at least a half an hour off your drive time, maybe more. Don't forget you gain an hour because the time changes when you get to the Idaho Montana line at Lookout Pass on I90. Of course your bodies don't realize that! lol

From West Yellowstone, head north on US287. It turns left not too far north of town, so follow that thru Ennis MT. As you continue North, you will see a small route sign to Butte MT. This turns off on a smaller county road (so you may think it's wrong, but it isnt!) but it will save you some time. It connects with I90 at Cardwell MT.

It takes me about 7 hours of driving time to get to Coeur d'Alene, so add 30-45 minutes on to that depending on where you plan to stay in Spokane.

The road from West Yellowstone to I90 is 2-lane but it is good road and there is not much traffic. I90 is of course divided 4 lane. There is a fair amount of truck traffic, but not bad.

If you opt to go from West Yellowstone up 191 to Bozeman/Belgrade you will run in to road construction and a LOT more traffic.

I go to Yellowstone a lot and I have tried every permutation of routes. This one saves time and traffic.

Pam

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

Brilliant, thank you very much. As this is our first time thru this region are there any issues with gas stations along this interstate and where is the best places to stop for food etc.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,553 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

With a full tank to start with, I can make it from West Yellowstone to Missoula where I fill up. There are many restaurants and gas stations at the Reserve St Exit. That is around 260 miles and I usually fill around 300 miles. I particularly like to have a full tank when heading over the mountains...no reason, just do. Gas stations are skimpy west of Missoula until you get over in to the Kellog/Wallace area of Idaho. There are a couple of gas stations at St Regis Mt., then not many that I can remember til you are over the top and headed down hill. BTW, the road is not as good on the Idaho side, so sorry, lousy tax base in my state.

I usually need to stretch as well by Missoula, so fueling and food get me out of the car. I just go for fast food, you may want something more inspired than the Taco Time chain, lol! I have gone in to downtown Missoula to eat, but it takes too long to park and then order in a restaurant. I usually only do this if I am coming home over US 12 which goes south of Missoula into Idaho.

There is a really good reference book I had forgotten about until one of the regulars on the Road Trips forum mentioned it this week. It is called The Next Exit an Interstate Highway guide and gives all the services at every exit. Since you are doubtless leaving soon, you may not be able to get this. The bookstore in my local area had to order it and it is a week-10 days out.

Basically, I would stop in Missoula to fuel up, grab a bite and stretch before heading west. There is a Cracker Barrel at the Reserve St exit if you like the country cooking thing.

Pam

Edited: 17 July 2013, 20:36
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What hotels are in between Butte and Spokane

Hello Pam,

This is great information and will be important to us as we travel. I am amazed how helpful you and others have been and how much help and assistance has been given by you and other writers, this is brilliant.

A big thank you from my wife and I.