We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly fishing outfitters

boston
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fly fishing outfitters

Hi all,

I'm planning a fly fishing trip for my dad's 76th birthday...we are beginners and so would like to hire a guide. Any suggestions for guides? Also any ideas on timing? We can go either mid-late May, or mid-late August...not sure which is better.

THANKS!!!

boston
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly fishing outfitters

An update...we've only done fly fishing in Alaska and everything was provided by our guide. Is that the case in Montana as well? Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly fishing outfitters

Mid-late August is probably better, mid-late May is going to be during runoff in most areas.

Whether a shop/outfitter supplies gear depends. Most do not, but have rental equipment.

Where to go, it is a big state. Near Yellowstone there are shops out of Bozeman, West Yellowstone, Ennis, Gardiner and Island Park (ID). There are lots of fishing opportunities around Missoula and others.

Do you want to stay at a dude ranch kind of place? Walk and wade trips? Horsepacking to backcountry lakes and streams? Daily float trips? How many days?

boston
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly fishing outfitters

I don't think we want to stay at a dude ranch...I'm thinking walk/wade or daily float trips. Probably 3 or 4 days.

I know nothing about fly fishing so am open to suggestions!

This will probably be his only trip fly fishing, so I'd like to make it count. Thanks so much for your help!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly fishing outfitters

I'd suggest something like doing a trip based around Yellowstone.

Day 1: fly in and drive to West Yellowstone

Day 2-4: 3 days West Yellowstone: Do three different days with guides from one of the shops in West Yellowstone.

Day 5: 1 day Sightseeing the geyser basins to Old Faithful (for lunch) then sightsee north and stay the night at either Mammoth in the park or Gardiner outside the park

Day 6: 1 day guide with Park's fly shop, august probably the Lamar valley/Soda Butte area.

1 day sightseeing around the east side of the park and back to Old Faithful for the night.

Day 7 fly home

You could do a similar trip (without the Yellowstone part) out of Missoula.

There are lots of reputable shops in west Yellowstone. Blue Ribbon Flies, Bob Jacklin, Bud Lilly's, Madison River Outfitters and several others. Just google west yellowstone fly shop. Check their websites and call them to see what they would recomment. You could also use the shops and stay in Island Park, ID about a half hour away. Park's is the only shop I know of in Gardiner and are an long established shop.

If you're father hasn't been to Yellowstone it would be a extra treat to add that to the trip. Not only that but some of the best fly fishing anywhere are in and around Yellowstone.

List of guides permited to guide inside Yellowstone

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishbsn.htm

There are also Fly Fishing Lodges in the area that can provide all of it with lodging, meals, etc.

Be sure to ask about what equipment is included and rental costs if not.

USA
Level Contributor
579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly fishing outfitters

Full provision is not typically the case but I would guess a full service fly shop might accommodate. Montana Troutfitters in Bozeman runs "Troufitters University" for newbies, a personalized day of instruction and time on the river. You can check it out at their website.

USA
Level Contributor
579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly fishing outfitters

Full provision is not typically the case but I would guess a full service fly shop might accommodate. Montana Troutfitters in Bozeman runs "Troufitters University" for newbies, a personalized day of instruction and time on the river. You can check it out at their website.

P.S. most of the fishing scenes in "A River Runs Through It" (Robert Redford) were filmed on the Gallatin River by Bozeman .

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly fishing outfitters

Here's a listing of fishing guides and outfitters in Western Montana. I hope this helps: http://www.glaciermt.com/fishing.php

8. Re: Fly fishing outfitters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:19