We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-time visit, Where to start/What to do!?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
First-time visit, Where to start/What to do!?

Planning on visiting in early August 2014 (3ppl in total). This will be my first time visiting MT from MN and I don't know where to start to plan! I want to get the most out of GNP, help me out- how should I get there (amtrak, by car?), where should I stay, how many days (kinda on a budget), what should I do!? I would love the help pls!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First-time visit, Where to start/What to do!?

Start by making some comparisons between the cost of traveling by car from Minneapolis to Amtrack to flying into Great Falls or Kalispell. Factor in time and the cost of lodging. How many days is a little harder to pin down but you can help by telling us about your visit. Do you want to hike or just drive? Dine in restaurants or eat sandwiches from you cooler? Will your lodging choices include tent or motel or the park lodges?

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
809 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First-time visit, Where to start/What to do!?

I would give yourself at least three-four days in Glacier. Maybe a day in Whitefish and a day in The Bob Marshall- hiking the Jewel Basin. Renting a car is a great way to make sure you do not have too much down time waiting for shuttles in GNP.

Make a list of high priority hikes ( easy vs difficult), boat trips, riding, shopping, chilling, and post your "Must do's" on this forum and ask for advice.

The must see hikes in Glacier are- Ice Berg Lake, Hidden Lake, High Line, Avalanche. Then maybe a day in Polebridge. Gorgeous drive. I love the Jewel basin hikes ( kind of a knee banger) but glorious. Hiking the Danny On trail on Whitefish Mountain is lovely. You can ride the chair lift up or down. Lots of flowers and a bar at the Summit. There are also great white water trips you can take that will incorporate dinner. Don't forget it stays light very late out here in the summer.

Plano, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First-time visit, Where to start/What to do!?

You may have seen this mentioned elsewhere on the MT forums, but Amtrak has a very unreliable schedule now. If time is important to you, you might think seriously about driving vs. using Amtrak. We were just at the Isaac Walton Inn in Essex, MT (an Amtrak stop) and the owner of the lodge said that Amtrak is not reliable; she never knows when the train will make a stop there.

4. Re: First-time visit, Where to start/What to do!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 06:16