We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on my Itinerary please

Anderson, South...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Need help on my Itinerary please

On the spur of the moment I, for some reason, thought flying into Jackson and leaving out of Kalispell within a 9 day time frame would be a good idea. I scored a cheap flight and a great 1 way rental back in the winter from Alamo. We are scheduled for July 9th - 17th and I am officially thinking "what was I thinking?" at this point! I need help to make the most of this. I am in my 30s but my parents will be with me and they are in their late 60s. Still pretty mobile but not huge hikers at all.

So I am looking for advice on a few things so I will quickly share my itinerary to see if anyone can help:

Day 1: Fly into Jackson, stay at Ranch Inn and see the "square", dinner, million dollar cowboy bar, etc

Day 2: Leaver early for the south entrance to Yellowstone, along the way stop and see the major vistas for the Grand Tetons, see mormon row, the sch landing etc - lunch at snake river lodge or somewhere along the way (approx 3 hrs), drive through south yellowstone entrance, see west thumb basin, a few stops along the lower basin, and then end up at the OFI. Take a tour of the inn if there is time or just spend the evening seeing the new visitors center. Overnight at the OFI (reserv confirmed)

Day 3: Breakfast at Snow lodge, see the lower basin and upper geyser basins on the west side. Overnight at OFI

Day 4: Drive through the canyon area, up through roosevelt area to mammoth. Overnight in Gardiner at Best Western.

Day 5: Leave Gardiner, drive through Bozeman, see the museum there, head to Butte, see mineral museum, overnight in Helena.

Day 6: Up early to tour the Cathedral in Helena and take the Last Chance train trolley tour at 11. Quick lunch in Helena and then drive the 3+ hours to East Glacier Park. Overnight at the Brown House in East Glacier.

Day 7: Up early to head toward Many Glacier area. I have scheduled a red bus evening tour at 3:30, but I can't decide if we should leave it off this day and just take a boat tour and quick hike? We check in at Many Glacier hotel at 4 pm.

Day 8: Leave for the GTTSR, drive ourselves to the Logan Pass area, do the quick hike there on the boardwalk, then head towards Lake McDonald. Leave out through the GTTSR west entrance and spend the night in Kalispell at La Quinta Inn. OR if we do not do the red bus tour the evening before we could move it to this day and do the 4 hr one that leaves at 10:30 from Rising Sun area. Although I don't think that would leave us much time for the Logan Pass area.

Day 9: Flight leaves Kalispell/FCA at 2 pm.

OR would any of you suggest that we stay overnight on Day 4 in West Yellowstone instead of the Gardiner area (I just thought it looked like a beautiful route to Glacier going this way via I90) and then head up through Virigina City/ Nevada City or Bannack and end up in Helena via 287? We could leave off the museum in Bozeman and the mineral museum in Butte. My dad just likes rocks and I thought that would be a neat stop to break up the long drive. Suggestions on the best way to get to Glacier would be appreciated. I don't want to waste driving time just to see the Gardiner/Livingston/Bozeman area if it really isn't as great as going up through Virigina City.

I know this is long, I hope one of you will be kind enough to spend your time reading it and gving me a few pointers.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help on my Itinerary please

My suggestion....

1, fly in, pm in grand Teton

2. Am in grand Teton for morning pics of the mountains, then up to Yellowstone for PM And loop around the lake to canyon to Norris to old faithful.

3. Old faithful area for the day

4. AM drive to canyon, Lamar valley, Night in Gardiner

5 AM Mammouth hot springs the PM drive up to east glacier area/StMarys.

6 Take bus up to Logan Pass and do some hiking, PM two medicine area ( take boat across),,,night in east glacier

7 go to many glacier are for the day/night

8 AM drive GTTSR over Logan and explore west half of glacier and lake MacDonald. Night stay in west glacier area or Columbia falls

9.. AM till 11 see west glacier...drive to airport for flight home ( assume an hr drive to airport and refuel before returning car)

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help on my Itinerary please

Parking at Logan Pass is a PITA. You will need to use the buses. The only times it starts to open up with parking is if you drive up around 3pm or so where buses end around 7pm.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help on my Itinerary please

It looks like you've done some good research and planning. I think that your itinerary is fine as is. Either of your Day 5 options would be both scenic and interesting. With either route, you might consider taking the Pintler Scenic Highway (Hwy 2) between Whitehall and Butte. It will add an hour or so depending on how many stops you make, but is a really pretty drive. I think there is a garnet mine along there too, but can't remember exactly. If you decide on the Virginia City route, you can make a stop at Quake Lake, west of West Yellowstone - interesting story and doesn't take much time. There is a nice rock/gem shop in VC, and also a couple of garnet mines between there and Sheridan, if your Dad would be interested in those.

On Day 7, I would cancel the Red Bus tour and explore on your own and/or take the scenic boat ride.

If you haven't seen this already, it may be helpful to you: http://visitmt.com/ There's a link on the homepage where you can order a print version of the "Visit MT" magazine, which has a lot of useful info too.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great trip - Enjoy!

4. Re: Need help on my Itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:15