We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montana in Winter or Early Spring

Long Island
2 posts
Save Topic
Montana in Winter or Early Spring

My husband and I are looking into western vacations for our honeymoon. So far we've narrowed it down to Montana (MY top choice) , Wyoming or Colorado. I'm curious as to what there is to do in Montana in the winter. How cold does it get in February and March? I've heard that Yellowstone is closed in the winter except for a few roads for snow-mobiling. Would it be worth the trip during the winter/ early spring if neither of us Ski?

Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Montana in Winter or Early Spring

HI! I just replied to you on the Wyoming site and, then, saw you put your message on the Montana page too.

In case you don't see it on the Wyoming page, here is my reply:

I would suggest a trip to Montana for February or March. Last year, we flew into Bozeman MT and had a ball (in February). We rented a vacation home on the Yellowstone River just North of Yellowstone Park. The name of the place was Yellowstone Lookout. It was fully stocked, new, immaculate and had a super hot tub right on the River. We stayed there an entire week. Each day, we did something different. We visited Yellowstone Park several times. The house we stayed at was located North of the North entrance. The North entrance to Yellowstone is open all year around for vehicle traffic (you can drive from Mammoth all the way to Cooke City)...we saw tons of wildlife and even rented cross country skies and skied some in Yellowstone. We also took a snow coach ride one day to Old Faithful and back. On another day, we hiked into a natural hot springs near Mammoth and soaked. Here is a good link that shows you the Yellowstone winter activities:

travelyellowstone.com/…-Rates-1720.html

On the days we did not go to the Park, we enjoyed Chico Hot Springs (very near the house); explored the towns of Livingston MT and Bozeman, MT and even went downhill skiing at Bridger Bowl.

It was a wonderful trip. You might want to consider it for your honeymoon trip. Let me know if you have any questions.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montana in Winter or Early Spring

I don't know what you're looking for, but Feb/March is generally freezing in Montana. unless you love the outdoors in very cold weather, it's a questionable choice. Much of Montana is is low gear during the winter, very quiet, and some of the most beautiful roads may be closed due to snow conditions. I drove 6 hours today through Western Montana - almost empty - and 4 car crashes due to road conditions. Bozeman is the most active city, but lodging there tends toward the Best Western/Wingate type - not too romantic. Big Sky is pretty but if you don't ski? Maybe you could learn on your honeymoon!

I vote for Jackson, Wyoming for a honeymoon at that time. The Amangani is a great "special occasion" hotel, and is not in the ski area. You can shop the boutiques, enjoy fine food and dance as mr. and mrs. at the cowboy bar.

Come back to Montana in spring. It's the last best place. Just not in February.

Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montana in Winter or Early Spring

I posted above about really LIKING Montana in February. We had a great time and liked the fact that there were very few tourists around, etc. And, we do enjoy winter activities. If you do not like winter activities, winter (February) is maybe not the best time to visit. If you do, you might really enjoy it. We drove for miles through Yellowstone and felt like we had the place to ourselves. Really enjoyed soaking in the hot mineral pools (and hot tub at the house); cross country skiing and snow coach ride.

4. Re: Montana in Winter or Early Spring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 07:20