We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon helicopter tour from South Rim

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon helicopter tour from South Rim

Hello, I need help regarding our family (4 adults) trip from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon. We will start in the morning lets say 7-8am, drive by our car to the Hoover Dam spend few minutes there. Then we will follow to the Grand Canyon Village at the south rim. We want to do a heli tour of the GC , spend some time at the viewpoints there and on the road to our destination - Page.

I was wondering , is there anything better than this www.papillon.com/popris/show_package.aspx… tour and when should I book it ? I mean which hour should I choose ? We will definitily spend some time on the village so we can it right after our arrival or prior to our departure from the village. How long would it take us to get there ? Travelling by SUV from Las Vegas strip. Travelling there in probably busy and hot August.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon helicopter tour from South Rim

The Grand Canyon Airport where helicopter overflights originate is in Tusayan, south of GCNP, before you enter the park at the main gate. it makes more sense time wise, to do the flight first. Book it as soon as you know the date and time you want. Otherwise, expect to be forced to wait hours or even days. At the very least you will miss the opportunity for a morning flight which is generally considered the best time, especially in August, when heat and afternoon monsoonal winds can affect flights and visibility.

Then enter the park. If you are continuing on to Page, you will follow AZ64 through the GCNP and exit the east gate at Desert View and drive on to Cameron and Page.

LV to Tusayan will take 4 1/2 hours plus time at Hoover Dam. Allow 1-2 hours

for your helicopter flight including prep time etc. GC Village to Page will take another 3 hours, not including stops for view points inside the park.

This is a really long day and a bad plan IMO. Spend a night at the GCNP.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon helicopter tour from South Rim

Thank you. I appreciate your opinion , I see that you are an expert ,but like many of the travelers we are trying to get the most from our days in US. We will have a restful day in Vegas before, so I hope we will be fresh enough.

So the plan would be: Departure 6:30am , Quick stop at Hoover Dam. Arrival @ GC airport at latest 1pm.

It seems to me that the Maverick 1:45 is a safe option (we would have to be there 30min before).

Are there any possibilities for traffic jams on that way?

We wanted to do it like this 1ST DAY Vegas--»GC»Page. 2nd Day Monument Valley , Antelope Canyon, horshoe bend 3rd Day Page»Bryce Canyon»Zion»Vegas[another exhausting day, and late arrival].

Our acommodation in Page is booked , but fully refundable, do you think of any better way how to do it in 3 days with start and finish in Las Vegas.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 08:53
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon helicopter tour from South Rim

Spend a night at the GCNP. Then move on to Page for 2 nights. There's plenty to do there. Going all the way to Monument Valley is just too far. And going LV to GCNP to Page in a single day is a lousy idea too.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon helicopter tour from South Rim

Ok. We agreed to skip Monument Valley, there still are many things in that area worth coming back. (arches, canyonland?)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon helicopter tour from South Rim

There are plenty of reasons to come back, but not for a three day visit. If you can find 2-3 weeks you could tour all of southern Utah.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon helicopter tour from South Rim

If there's any way you can swing an overnight at the Grand Canyon, I would recommend that so you could instead take your Grand Canyon helicopter flight in the morning. Mornings offer better light and less wind; that 1:45 PM time slot is one of the worst for turbulence and the colors of the canyon walls being washed out. August is especially risky for cancellation of afternoon flights due to that being our "monsoon season."

Probably a good decision to take Monument Valley off the agenda as you're doing a lot of driving in a short time as it is. It normally takes 2.5 hours to drive from Grand Canyon South Rim to Page, but that is easily extended to 4 hours or so due to the number of scenic stops one can make. One possible way to still see Monument Valley and yet not change your itinerary significantly is to fly over it from the Page Municipal Airport. Grand Canyon Airlines and Westwind Air Service offer 90-minute fixed wing airplane tours that also would fly you over Lake Powell. This video discusses visiting MV from the ground, but has good aerial footage to give you an idea of what flying over it is like ->: http://youtu.be/sYkTHJBvtkw

When you go back to Las Vegas, consider driving via Zion National Park.

7. Re: Grand Canyon helicopter tour from South Rim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:15