We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Portland, MN to Buffalo, NY with 2 young kids

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Portland, MN to Buffalo, NY with 2 young kids

Are there any must-see/do's??

This will be about 2 weeks from now and we have about 4 days to do it...

TIA!

The Gregoires

The kids are 5 & 3.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Portland, MN to Buffalo, NY with 2 young kids

Eeek, sorry - that should be Portland ME not MN...duh...

(pls forgive me I am Canadian)

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Portland, MN to Buffalo, NY with 2 young kids

Definitely bring them to Storyland if you get the chance. It's in Glen, NH:

www.storylandnh.com

Also the Whale's Tale Waterpark, if it's hot and muggy still in a few weeks:

www.whalestalewaterpark.net

The Cog Railway would be really fun for them...

Mt. Washington Cog Railway

Route 302 Bretton Woods

Mount Washington

New Hampshire 03589

TEL: 800-922-8825

603-278-5404 in N.H.

Your trip won't be complete until you get to "Clark's Trading Post" That's one of the biggest attractions in NH and a MUST for every one or else you haven't been through the White Mountains the right way!

Clarks Trading Post, U.S. Route 3, P.O. Box 1, Lincoln, N.H. 03251 Phone: (603) 745-8913. .

Keep checking back for more suggestions and have a wonderful time. You can pick up brochures at the Visitor's Centers set up along the roads, I know they'll have more places for you to check out!

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Portland, MN to Buffalo, NY with 2 young kids

What is your time table each day? Do the kids need afternoon naps? (perfect driving time?) What time of the day are you available to sightsee on Day 1? My kids are the same age and I would think Portland to Glen, NH to Stowe VT to Buffalo is an option (there is stuff in between Stowe and Buffalo we can figure out with you. The total driving time from Point A to D is 12 hours, 623.5 miles. If you want less drving time we can shorten it up but I was thinking...Portland, ME (Lucky Catch boat trip) Glen (Storyland, a MUST for that age) Stowe (Vermont Teddy Bear Factory and Ben & Jerry's factory) Than the really long drive... Howe Caves is along the way. They might be a little young, it's kind of dank and dark in there. Baseball fans? Cooperstown, baseball hall of fame? I would think Saratoga Springs NY would be a good stopping point.

portland to Glen - 1hr 50 min, glen to Stowe 2.5 hr Stowe to Saratoga Springs 3 hr, Saratoga to Buffalo 4 hr 20 min.

4. Re: Driving from Portland, MN to Buffalo, NY with 2 young kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 09:20