We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cog Railway

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Cog Railway

Has anyone been on the Cog Railway up Mt. Washington in the fall? The price is $59 per person. It sound intriguing but we were wondering if it was worth $118 for the two of us.

Also what about the Conway railroad. I read the valley train wasn't worth it and the scenery wasn't so good. What about the one that goes through the Notch. Does anyone have a preference as which train ride is really worth it. We don't want to take the time or the money to do both. We will be there in October 7 & 8 of this year.

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cog Railway

I've only been on the Conway railroad. The scenery should be lovely in October - there aren't many spectacular vistas, but it doesn't mean it isn't a nice, low-key ride. I can't imagine that it costs anywhere near as much as the cog railroad, but I last rode on it 15 years ago. The railroad is right next to Hobo Junction, which is a nice mini-golf place. Hmm...that may not be open in October.

NH
Level Contributor
278 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cog Railway

I did the Cog a couple years back but it was in the spring. I would imagine it's a gorgeous ride in the fall. I don't remember it being that $$..must have gone up. It's an interesting ride...worth it in my opinion. Definitely not a typical train ride. If heights bother you...I would skip it. There are parts of it that go straight up/down...almost to the point where you feel like you'll slip off the seat (going down)

I haven't been on the other 2 trains...can't help you there. I think I would do the one that goes through the notch before the Conway one though.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cog Railway

Thanks, I think the price is higher during the foliage season.

It will probably scare me but not as much as driving up it. I'm sure my husband will want to get to the top one way or another.

Thanks for the warning though. I will have to think about it.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cog Railway

I have hiked up 3 times and have mixed feelings about the cog. When ever we come to the rocks around the tracks there is a heavy smell and black dust everywhere. It is expensive, and I always wonder about the coal fumes while riding. But the idea and history is unique and I always feel that it is important to check stuff like that out while we still can. I would recommend trying it is you want to enjoy a day of georgeous views in a unique way.

I have only done the Conway railway. We go every fall in October. They usually stop at the cider mill where you can buy cider donuts and other goodies. Last year the kids got to pick out baby pumpkins. The trains are usually packed. We have a good time chatting with friends and enjoying the trees. There is misc. garbage in the wood along the way that I have always thought odd. My bet is that the longer train in teh other direction ahs better scenery. We pick the shorter train because we have little kids with short attention spans.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cog Railway

Thanks for the replies!

I think I would like to try it but just not sure if I wouldn't be just as happy with the Conway railroad that goes through the Notch. My husband is more of a daredevil than I am.

Would love to hear from someone who has ridden one of those trains in the fall.

jzbarker
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cog Railway

Have you considered taking one of the chauffeured vans up the auto road? Not only is it less expensive, more informative and not nearly as frightening a the cog it's also a great alternative to putting hundreds of miles wear on your car's breaks in one afternoon.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cog Railway

No, I didn't know there were chauffeured van drives up the mountain. That's an interesting option though. I will look that up. I like the sound of it.

I imagine anything up the mountain will be exciting although I'm not sure how much excitement I want!

Thanks!

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cog Railway

I have a home up in Jackson, NH and have been on the Cog as a child and as an adult. We were up this weekend and I confirmed that the Cog price is $59 for adults.

I was not a fan. The ride is expensive, slow and smoky. The kids were bored in 15 minutes after the initial excitement wore off. When we arrived at the top we were given about 5 minutes to look at the view. They told us that we could take our chances and wait for the next train ride down but they could not guarantee us a seat.

The Conway Scenic Railroad is much more reasonable. The 45 minute ride to Conway from North Conway starts at $13.50 for adults. The longer ride to the Notch (5 hours) is really great in foliage season - it is worth it to ride in the first class cabin or dome train. You can also eat on the train.

Best is their Polar Express which run a few weeks before Christmas. You can only get tickets via a lottery which is run in the early fall. This was the best thing that we ever did with the kids - we all thought we were really at the North Pole!! (this was before they even released the movie).

The top of Mount Washington is beautiful. Instead of the Cog, hike up the Tuckerman's Ravine trail (about 3 1/2 hours), drive up the Auto Road or if you are afraid to drive take a shuttle from Pinkham Notch. You can also hike up Tuckermans and take the shuttle back to your car.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cog Railway

Well the more I hear the less I think the Cog is for me. I looked up the chauffeured van rides up the mountain and that seems like a pretty good idea. I'm not much of a hiker so hiking is not really much of an option for us. Maybe we will take the van up Mt. Washington and then take the train ride through the Notch. I would probably prefer the dinner train ride. My husband would probably like something more exciting. He would rather drive the auto road himself but I like the idea of a tour guide with the stories ( as long as he is paying attention to the road!). I think I would be slightly more relaxed and my husband can take pictures instead of concentrating on driving.

Good ideas everybody! I appreciate all the input!

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cog Railway

The "tour guide" may or may not give you good stories depending on which driver you get. We hike Tuckerman's every summer and take the ride down - sometimes you get an informative driver and sometimes not.

That being said, I never enjoyed driving our own car (probably because I wasn't in control)...you drive close to some cliffs (which freak me out - this is just my issue, the road is wide enough for two cars+) and you start to smell your brakes on the way down.