We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train/bus from CT to NH

New Zealand
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Train/bus from CT to NH

Hi, I am travelling to the USA (from New Zealand) in two days and on Sept 20 will be in the CT region for a few days, then on to NH for a few days. I had looked at the amtrak site and the way I read it there is a train from Bridgeport in CT (where I will be) to Concord, NH. It looked to me that the train went to Boston when you transferred to a bus. Can anyone tell me if this is correct please? A friend has told me that there is only a seven hour bus trip from CT to NH. I would just appreciate some information if anyone has any knowledge. Thank you.

Laconia NH
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Train/bus from CT to NH

I live in NH and I don't believe the train comes up this far yet. I do believe you are right when you said that the train ends in Boston and you take a bus up to Concord Trailways. If you need any more information let me know and I would be glad to help you figure it out.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train/bus from CT to NH

Thank you so much Cally. I've looked at the timetables and I don't mind doing the train/bus thing as we get to see a little more of the landscape as we travel but was hoping it would be a shorter time frame. I was considering getting a hire car but we in NZ drive on the left hand side of the road of course and think it would be less stressful to use the services available. Thanks for your response.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train/bus from CT to NH

Concord Trailways serves DEstinations in NH, Maine and Vermont. In NH, you can go all the way up to Littleton, above the White Mountains. I am not certain of bus service up the eastern side of the Whites, but that would be to either or both Gorham and Berlin in NH. In Mainie, you can take the bus up the coast to Bangor. All of this is with stops along the way. I think that Concord Trailways also goes up through NH into Vermont along I-89.

Amtrak does have train service up along the Connecticut River. I am not sure if it stops in Briodgeport, but I would guess that it does. It continues up through hartford, CT, Springfield, MA, Brattleboro, VT and up pretty close to the Canadian border. Not sure of its terminus.

Amtrak also runs the Down Easter from Boston up through Exeter and Portsmouth, NH and up to Portland, ME. This is a very popular line and runs five trains a day, I believe.

But no train service to COncord, NH.

4. Re: Train/bus from CT to NH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 18:20