We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone can help?: place to stay, Oct. 6th, White Mountains

Boston
1 post
Save Topic
Anyone can help?: place to stay, Oct. 6th, White Mountains

Hello,

I live in Boston, and am planning to go to White Mountains on Saturday, Oct. 6th, for one night. This will be our very first trip to White Mountians. This trip was just decided and I also just realized it's going to be a very busy weekend because the foliage is at peak and it's Columbus day weekend.

I spend all day yesterday and today online trying to find a place to stay, but it seems like all the hotels are sold out. Is there any way that I could find a place to stay around White Mountains next weekend? Any tip or advice?

Please help... Thank you!!!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone can help?: place to stay, Oct. 6th, White Mountains

Have you looked in Gorham? This is above the notches, as they say, north of Mt. Washington through Pinkham Notch, on Rte 16. There might also be some places in Berlin, which, for all practical purposes, borders Gorham. There are a lot of places, though it is, as you say, Columbus weekend, and they may also be full.

If you haven't checked in towns north of the notches, then you might want to do that. North of Franconia Notch to Littleton, and east to Twin MOuntain there are a lot of places, but these may be booked. If all that does not pan out, try towns even further north. You will be a little further north of the White, but in a beautiful area that is less touristy. You will have a truly NH experience, and probably see a lot of Moose.

You might also see how far south you need to go to find lodging. Concord is only 45 minutes to Plymouth, and about 1 hour 15 minutes to Lincoln/Woodstock. You could stay there and have an easier day trip to the Whites or other parts of the state. Depending on what your interests are, the Whites are not the only beautiful part of NH.

campton, new...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone can help?: place to stay, Oct. 6th, White Mountains

Hi: I'm sorry to say but one night on a long weekend is going to be all but impossible to find. Most places have a strict 2 night minimum and even that will be hard to find this time of year. Wish I had better advice for you.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
556 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone can help?: place to stay, Oct. 6th, White Mountains

NextStopIs makes a good suggestion of trying Concord and driving up for the day.

Because most places require multi-night stays this time of year and are booked long in advance, your best bet is to remain flexible and persistent on Friday PM/Saturday AM. I doubt any establishments are changing their rules on Monday for this coming Saturday but a cancellation late on a Friday Night could make them more flexible come Saturday AM. It never hurts to make that call at the last minute.

For this past weekend I was fully booked a month in advance and turned away dozens of requests. Had a last minute cancellation Friday Night at 8PM...first person to call Saturday AM got the room. You never know.

4. Re: Anyone can help?: place to stay, Oct. 6th, White Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about New Hampshire