We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storybook

Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Storybook

Is it worth the drive with 8yr old twins from Tilton area? Is it geared for a younger age? Or is there more "suitable" activities to do in New Hampshire (historical, museums and etc.)? Thanks for all your help.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storybook

When do you plan to travel? I'm not sure about activities for youngsters in that area. Tilton is known for its outlet shops. There are several kid friendly museums farther south in Peterborough and Keene, The Mairposa Museum, Stonewall Farm, Friendly Farm. Colony House Museum in Keene often has activities for children depending on the time of year. In the summer blueberry picking is always fun.

Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Storybook

We will be going in late June. Thank you for your help.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storybook

There are a number of great atractions in Lincoln. Check them out on the TA list. Hobo railroad and Clarks trading post are two. Also in the area is Polar Caves. 8 is not too old for storyland, it is really well done and has lot of fun rides for any age. It is a great family park. The drive from Tilton up 93, across the Kancamangus and up to Glen is spectacular. If you can grab a hotel for one night in the North Conway/Glen/Bartlett/Jackson area it would help relax the visit. Also of note but straight North about an hour or two is Santas Village. Family run and lots of fun as well. Plenty to see and do. Enjoy!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storybook

I would not spend limited time at clark's village. I would rather go to lake winnepisauki for a boat tour, lost river gorge, cannon mountain gondola ride on the west side of the state or if you go across the Kanc to Mt Wash or the Wildcat gondola. I don't know if the weather will be warm enough for hikes with 8 yo but Aruthusa falls or glen ellis falls are very neat.

Attleboro...
Level Contributor
423 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Storybook

I have so many fond memories of the white mountains as a kid. Just the scenery alone is great. Playing in the river along the kancamangus highway is a blast even. The water is ALWAYS ice cold. There are lots of rocks to climb and waterfalls and natural beauty to enjoy. Then the parks and road side attractions are the next best thing. Your kids will ove it!

I still like storyland as an adult.

:)

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Storybook

If your 8 year olds are not too cynical and/or have not been to too many Six Flags/Disney type theme parks, Storyland will be a lot of fun. It is a mother goose themed amusement park, so some stuff can feel pretty young. But still very suitable for 8 year olds. Keep in mind that they close at 5 or 6PM. The drive from Tilton to Glen is about 1 1/2 hours, not counting traffic in North Conway. I would consider, as has been suggested, planning an overnight in the area. Also, they used to (and may still) have offer that if you enter after 3PM, you can use your ticket for entry the next day.

As for driving up there, and especially if you do not plan on staying overnight, I would avoid the Kankamagus Highway going there. This is a busy, high tourist road, and it will result in having to drive through the highly congested North Conway area on Rte 16. Going up, stay on I-93 all the way up through Franconia Notch (many great thing for families inthe notch - Cannon Mtn Tram, The Flume Gorge, great waterfalls to swim in above the Basin). Exit to Rte 3 east to Twin Mountain, then take Rte 302 through Crawford Notch directly to Rte 16, about 1/4 mile south of Storyland. This is a beautiful drive with many scenic and tourist opportunities. And much less traveled.

7. Re: Storybook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 14:19