We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Strategy for a place to stay in N. Conway 9/21-9/23

Boston
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booking Strategy for a place to stay in N. Conway 9/21-9/23

Hi All,

Based on what I have read here, the prevailing opinion is that if you are coming to NH in the fall, you should make an advance reservation because everything fills up fast for miles around.

The last 2 years my husband and I have driven up to North Conway from Loon Mountain, after the Scottish Festival, and we are planning to do so again this year. That would put us in North Conway on Sunday, 9/21. The last 2 years we did not make any reservations and had no problems getting a place to stay. The first time we stayed at the Kearsage Inn, which was fabuous. I can't remember what we paid but we got a great deal because they upgraded us to an unbeleivable suite. Next time (last year) we stayed at the Stonehurst Manor. The rooms were not as nice as the Kearsage Inn, but the place itself was nicer (the grounds, the library and common rooms, etc.). I always figured if you called on the day you want to stay, or walked in off the street, you might get a better deal because they knew the rooms might otherwise be empty.

Any optinions on this theory? Thank you in advance.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Strategy for a place to stay in N. Conway 9/21-9/23

Why not venture a tad more north and stay in Intervale or Jackson. The Carter Notch Inn is a great b&b or a refurbished Whitney's is very nice. It now has a adirondack theme with all new furnishings and a very popular shovel handle pub. It's early enough in the fall season that you shouldn't have problems with availability.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Strategy for a place to stay in N. Conway 9/21-9/23

Mrs Tat,

You can always find a room SOMEwhere in Conway/N. Conway, and a number of new hotels have just gone up or are under construction. That said, the best price is not always to be had when just walking in - it depends on what you're looking for. For a smaller inn or B&B, then yes, the price might be the same or lower; for a larger hotel, you'll probably pay more.

Since you'll be coming in on a Sunday, the chances of finding a place are better than if you were coming in Thursday-Saturday...

Boston
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Strategy for a place to stay in N. Conway 9/21-9/23

Dave484'

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Both of the places look very nice and we will definitely put them on our list of possibilities.

We are still planning on "winging it" when we get there, even though some advise against it. We had very good luck the last 2 years. In fact, both years we called a number of places and all had availability, so we had to make a choice. Hopefully the same will be true this year. I think it is because we arrive on Sunday that we have had such good luck.

If we end up staying in Jackson, are there any pubs for nightlife? We are 42 and a young 50 years old. We like music (a good juke box is fine), trivia and Karaoke. Any recomendations?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Strategy for a place to stay in N. Conway 9/21-9/23

There are quite a few options in Jackson... The Thompson House Eatery, Red Fox Bar, Shannon Door Pub... you won't lack places to eat!

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Strategy for a place to stay in N. Conway 9/21-9/23

If you don't need a room until Sunday night you have more chance of getting a room than you would on a Saturday. It could limit your choices.

Boston
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Strategy for a place to stay in N. Conway 9/21-9/23

Yankeetraveler -

Thanks for the eating options. They all look good and are going on our list.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Strategy for a place to stay in N. Conway 9/21-9/23

My pleasure! If there's anything else I can help with, just let me know. I'll be headed home this summer, so if I can scope anything out for you, don't hesitate to ask.

8. Re: Booking Strategy for a place to stay in N. Conway 9/21-9/23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 05:27